Re: Microsoft loose another 100 - 300 THOUSAND exchange seats.

____/ High Plains Thumper on Tuesday 19 Jan 2010 04:41 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper on Monday:

>>> I guess it takes a monopoly to overcome a monopoly.  :-)
>>
>> Not when it comes to software patents.
>
> Well, I must admit that a Canadian company did put Microsoft on the spot
> for nicking their XML scheme.
>
>>> Companies are looking to trim costs to remain competitive.  Problem
>>> is IMO, managing a Microsoft based infrastructure is more costly
>>> than internal cloud computing infrastructure and diskless Internet
>>> terminals, terminals which are basically plug-n-play.  (One craps
>>> out, replace the terminal, switch on, back in business.)
>>>
>>> All software resides on the servers, which is much easier to
>>> manage.
>>
>> Harder.  For the user, that is.
>
> It depends on the user's function.  For regular office automation, I can
> see going to server based software.  Even CAD can be done through server
> with the right hardware mix.
>
> Ernie Ball put it that the user would get the software they need to do
> their job.  If an Internet browser was not an inherent part of their
> job, they did not get it access, boosted productivity.

If the employer runs the server, then it's OK.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the
process of putting them in. -- Dykstra
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 17:00:01 up 65 days, 14:31,  2 users,  load average: 0.58, 0.92, 0.65