[News] Heaps of LCA (Linux.conf.au) Coverage, Interviews

  • Subject: [News] Heaps of LCA (Linux.conf.au) Coverage, Interviews
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:25:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

LCA 2010: From India with code

,----[ Quote ]
| Bharata B. Rao, one of the speakers at the
| 11th LCA, is an exception - he has come to
| Wellington straight from Bangalore and is
| just recovering from the jetlag. (His talk
| is titled "Using performance counters to
| optimize task placement on multi-core
| systems.")
|
| Rao, who is in his mid-30s, works for IBM
| as a senior staff software engineer in the
| India Software Labs Systems Group. What's
| more, he writes code aimed at the Linux
| kernel.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30575&Itemid=1090

LCA 2010: Smooth sailing at halfway point

,----[ Quote ]
| Midway through the week that comprises the
| 11th Australian national Linux conference,
| the two co-organisers, Andrew and Susanne
| Ruthven, say they are extremely pleased
| with the way things are working out.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30595&Itemid=1090

LCA 2010: How FOSS spreads to the home

,----[ Quote ]
| Shane Geddes is one of the first batch of
| students to enrol in New Zealand's first
| high school that uses only free and open
| source software - the Albany Senior High
| School in Auckland.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30598&Itemid=1090

LCA 2010: Tridge and the art of education

,----[ Quote ]
| It takes a lot of courage to set out on an
| unexplored course, especially when it comes
| to academia. There is nothing to compare
| with the withering scorn that one earns
| from this community if one sets out on an
| ambitious course - and then fails
| miserably.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30610&Itemid=1090

In pictures: Linux.conf.au

http://www.computerworld.com.au/slideshow/333289/pictures_linux_conf_au/

LCA 2010 Thursday Keynote â Glyn Moody

,----[ Quote ]
| Glyn Moody â Hackers at the end of the
| world. Rebel code is now 10 years oldâ 50+
| interviews over a year â and could be
| considered an archaeology now :)   I
| probably havenât down the keynote justice â
| it was excellent but high density â you
| should watch it online ;)
|
| Glyn talks about open access â various
| examples like the public library of science
| (and how the scientific magazine business
| made 30%-40% profit margins. The Human
| Genome Project & the âBermuda Principlesâ:
| public submimssion of annotated sequences.
| In 2000 Celera were going to patent the
| entire human genome. Jim Kent spent 3 weeks
| writing a program to join together the
| sequenced fragments on a 100 PC 800Mhz
| Pentium processor.  This was put into the
| public domain on just before Celera
| completed their processing â and by that
| action Celera were prevented from patenting
| *us*.
`----

http://www.advogato.org/person/robertc/diary.html?start=138

LCA2010: Day 3, Wellington, New Zealand

,----[ Quote ]
| Corbet took his typical potshot at Ubuntu,
| saying that LKML is now friendlier than the
| Ubuntu mailing lists. Thankfully two other
| speakers today (mako and mjg) mentioned the
| Ubuntu Code of Conduct as being both
| important and effective in the Ubuntu
| community. In my opinion, there seems to be
| an ever-growing trend of LWN.net attacks on
| Canonical and Ubuntu. I think I'll dedicate
| a post on that topic soon.
`----

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/01/lca2010-day-3-wellington-new-zealand.html

Linux.conf.au - Day Three

,----[ Quote ]
| The glorious weather that had punctuated
| the first two days of the conference held,
| heralding in the third day in a blaze of
| sunshine. The conference proper was
| introduced by a keynote by Benjamin Mako
| Hill on Antifeatures: Why your software
| works against you and why software freedom
| offers hope of a better future. Mako
| explored the concept of anti-features as
| deliberately included functionality or a
| lack of functionality that users hate so
| much they will pay to have them removed.
| Some classic examples included the gator
| spyware that was included with free version
| of p2p software on the windows platform -
| with a spyware-free version available for a
| fee.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linuxconfau-day-three

linux.conf supports Life Flight Trust

,----[ Quote ]
| LCA2010 delegates are invited to to make
| donations to the Life Flight Trust and be
| in to win an exclusive once-in-a-lifetime
| experience on Saturday 23rd January.
`----

http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=19267

Linux.conf.au, FOSS and the Joe Blow job

,----[ Quote ]
| This year's Linux.conf.au gathering has
| placed more emphasis than ever on the
| broader impact of free and open source
| software (FOSS), and how the models it
| utilises could benefit society in all kinds
| of other ways. It's a fascinating argument
| and a worthwhile goal, but it's still hard
| to escape the feeling that it's not being
| tailored well for the non-geek community.
| The way the case is being presented at LCA
| 2010, Joe Blow won't want to know.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/30634/53/

LCA 2010: Kiwis to give FOSS desktop a go

,----[ Quote ]
| New Zealand will begin a test of a
| homegrown free and open source desktop
| solution next month, with the Horizons
| Regional Council to be one of the guinea
| pigs, according to the president of the
| country's open source society.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30639&Itemid=1090

Linux.conf.au 2010 kicks off in New Zealand

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds himself is known to attend â
| and was in Hobart for the first time last
| year â and multinational software companies
| like Google use LCA as a hunting ground for
| fresh talent.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/blog/talkingtech/2010/01/linuxconfau_2010_kicks_off_in_new_zealand

Linux.conf.au: Birds of a Feather

,----[ Quote ]
| The Birds of a Feather sessions include
| topics such as installfests and how to run
| them, Linus standard operating environment
| development and MySQL Sandbox.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/333302/linux_conf_au_birds_feather/?fp=4&fpid=1968336438

Recent: