[News] Government of New Zealand to Pilot Desktop GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Government of New Zealand to Pilot Desktop GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:26:46 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

NZ govt trials Linux desktops in Feb

,----[ Quote ]
| Three New Zealand government agencies will
| begin a pilot next month to replace their
| existing Windows desktops with machines
| running Linux and other open source
| software.
|
| The Department of Prime Minister and
| Cabinet, Horizons Regional Council and NZ
| Post will all begin trialling the use of
| Linux desktops in February. NZ Post's open
| source plans were outed by Computerworld in
| August last year.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/NZ-govt-trials-Linux-desktops-in-Feb/0,130061733,339300527,00.htm

Why Governments Should Ban Microsoft Internet Explorer

,----[ Quote ]
| There are many alternatives available
| today, such as GNU/Linux based Ubuntu which
| are not only cheaper but also much more
| safer.
`----

http://katonda.com/blog/548/why-governments-should-ban-microsoft-internet-explorer

2010: The Year the Desktop OS No Longer Matters?

,----[ Quote ]
| I agree with Vincent Danen that wondering
| whether Linux is ready for the desktop is
| silly, even irrelevant -- wider usage tends
| to foster growth in related sectors (think
| cloud computing and virtualization). But
| Koenning's made a particularly strong (and
| strangely parallel) point that encouraging
| "non-technical" end users to use open
| source software is a great way to ease
| vendors into supporting non-proprietary
| platforms.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/2010-the-year-the-desktop-os-no-longer-matters

Recent:

Stop using Explorer: Govts

,----[ Quote ]
| AUSTRALIAN, French and German internet
| users have been told by their respective
| governments to stop using the Internet
| Explorer (IE) program because of a security
| threat.
|
| According to a report on news.com.au,
| Australian web users were advised to
| install security patches or switch
| browsers. In France and Germany, however,
| warnings have been issued against all
| versions of Microsoft's browser.
`----

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/TechandScience/Story/STIStory_479260.html

Internet Security: more countries join IE warning

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://chiefofficers.net/888333888/cms/index.php/news/industries/infotech_comms/it_security/internet_security_more_countries_join_ie_warning