[News] Review of Boxee for GNU/Linux, New Payment System

  • Subject: [News] Review of Boxee for GNU/Linux, New Payment System
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:40:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Fun with Boxee for Linux (Beta)

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in 2008, I looked at Boxee on the
| Apple TV. Boxee, if you aren't familiar
| with it, is a free and open-source media
| center app. It is now also available in
| beta form for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux.
|
| I thought this was a good time to take a
| look at the last. This is not a formal
| review, just some initial thoughts on my
| experience with it. Please do not forget
| that Boxee is labeled "beta," so if you try
| it out you may run into some bugs.
`----

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2358207,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

One-click payment system on the way to Boxee

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee has great things on the way â some we
| can't tell you about yet â but here's one
| we can: video on demand in the form of the
| Boxee Payment Platform, bringing one-click
| payment for shows that will hopefully be
| worth your money.
`----

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/01/one-click-payme.php

Music jukebox with advanced features for DJs and a text-mode user interface

,----[ Quote ]
| Pytone is a curses based Jukebox program
| with advanced features like crossfading,
| multiple players (libmad,xmms,mpg321/123),
| prehearing with a second soundcard, search
| functionality, logging, mixer functions and
| an English and German interface.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/01/music-jukebox-with-advanced-features.html

Recent:

Give Boxee Beta an Ubuntu Ride

,----[ Quote ]
| Boxee Beta is now open to all. Even its
| alpha release was rock solid, so one could
| think of the kind of expectation everyone
| has for Boxee Beta. From the first look, I
| have to say, Boxee beta has pretty much
| lived up to the hype.
`----

http://techdrivein.blogspot.com/2010/01/give-boxee-beta-ubuntu-ride.html

Boxee opens beta to all

,----[ Quote ]
| Below are several screenshots of the Boxee
| Betaâs movies, videos, queue, and apps
| selection screens...
`----

http://openboxeebox.com/boxee-opens-beta-to-all/

Hands-On With the Boxee Set-Top Box and Remote

,----[ Quote ]
| A host of video services on the web enable you
| to watch your favorite TV programs and movies
| anytime you wish, and Boxee is an open
| platform striving to weave them all into one
| neat interface. To get the Boxee experience
| onto a TV, D-Link has launched a set-top box
| dedicated to the open video platform, along
| with a special remote.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/hands-on-with-the-boxee-set-top-box/

Boxee Beta goes public â now for a look inside the box

,----[ Quote ]
| Media center software maker Boxee announced
| the public launch of its Boxee Beta
| software, today, after only a month in
| private beta.
`----

http://venturebeat.com/2010/01/07/boxee-beta-now-available-for-everyone-now-for-a-look-inside-the-box/

Boxee Beta Goes Public â Now Works With TV.com, Blip.TV, and IGN

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to releasing the first full
| beta of the application, the company is
| announcing several new content
| partnerships. New partners include TV.com,
| Blip. tv, gaming powerhouse IGN, and the
| upcoming film The Wolfman.
`----

http://thenextweb.com/2010/01/07/boxee-beta-public-works-tvcom-bliptv-ign/

Boxee Box Tegra 2 confirmed; Boxee Beta goes public

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that the Boxee Box by D-Link is
| officially official, and the NVIDIA Tegra 2
| chipset is the same, Boxee can finally
| confirm that yes, theyâve used the low-
| power 1080p-capable Tegra T20 chip in their
| upcoming media streamer.  According to a
| new post on the Boxee blog, the dual-core
| ARM Cortex A9 CPU means the Boxee Box is
| capable of Adobe Flash 10.1 decoding, HD
| streaming and local 1080p playback.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/boxee-box-tegra-2-confirmed-boxee-beta-goes-public-0768914/

How to install Ubuntu 9.10 and the Boxee Beta on an Acer Aspire Revo (including 64 bit option)

http://www.greenhughes.com/content/how-install-ubuntu-910-and-boxee-beta-acer-aspire-revo-including-64-bit-option

Boxee Introduces QUERTY Remote for its Box

,----[ Quote ]
| The Beta release of the app will deliver not
| only tons of bug fixes, but also performance
| improvements, all-new features and official
| support for Snow Leopard and Ubuntu Karmic,
| according to the developers. An early access
| is also available to the beta, slated for
| launch tomorrow.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Boxee-Introduces-QUERTY-Remote-for-its-Box-131259.shtml

D-Link tips Linux-based Boxee box