[News] Linux-powered Swindle Opens up to Developers

  • Subject: [News] Linux-powered Swindle Opens up to Developers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:44:30 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Amazon preparing to add apps and games to the Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the announcement, beginning next
| month a limited number of developers will be
| invited to begin working with the Kindle
| Development Kit, which includes sample code,
| documentation, and the Kindle Simulator, which
| helps developers build and test their content
| by simulating the 6-inch Kindle and 9.7-inch
| Kindle DX on Mac, PC, and Linux desktops.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2010/01/21/amazon-preparing-to-add-apps-and-games-to-the-kindle/

Amazon announces Kindle apps

http://m.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/30951

Recent:

The secret behind the Kindle's best-selling e-books: They're not for sale

,----[ Quote ]
| One big reason readers choose e-books over ink
| and paper versions: The digital ones are
| cheaper.
|
| That wasn't the case when e-books first
| appeared a decade ago. But Amazon has made a
| point of selling its Kindle titles at a
| discount to physical editions, even if it
| means losing money.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10422538-93.html

Kindle Total Cost of Ownership: Calculating the DRM Tax

,----[ Quote ]
| There is one other problem with DRM protected
| books. When the reading device reaches its end
| of life, you have to assume all the content you
| purchased will be lost. If, for instance, I
| went with a Kindle, all of the content I
| purchase can be used only on devices supported
| by Amazon.
|
| When, several years later, it comes time to
| replace that Kindle I may get a new Kindle --
| but I can't assume that. Maybe somebody else
| will have a better device at that time. Or,
| maybe Amazon went bankrupt or evil or stupid
| and I need to switch to another vendor. There
| are any number of reasons I might like to
| switch my e-reader. If I do, I have to assume I
| won't be able to use any of the content I
| purchased for the Kindle.
|
| Thanks to DRM, when my e-reader reaches its end
| of life, I will have to pay to acquire
| replacement books for the material that's
| locked out of the new e-reader. I call the
| amount of that purchase the "DRM tax" -- an
| added cost imposed by DRM restrictions.
`----

http://www.unicom.com/blog/entry/622

Hackers break Amazon's Kindle DRM