[News] Lockheed-Martin Makes Use of Linux

Lockheed-Martin & IronKey Release Virtual Privacy Machine on a USB Stick

,----[ Quote ]
| Most VPM's are forged from hardened versions
| of Linux on a diet due to flash drive size
| constraints. USB 3.0, SLC flash, and larger
| flash drives have all, but removed this limit
| and embedded versions of more full featured,
| user friendly versions of Linux are popping
| up. While it may seem extreme, maintaining
| corporate intellectual property and securing
| assets from disgruntled employees can mean big
| bucks in today's bleeding edge world. Look for
| the rapid proliferation of ideas like this in
| the years to come.

LAN appliance hosts 32nm Core CPUs

,----[ Quote ]
| Operating system support was not detailed.
| However, other network appliances from Lanner,
| such as the FW-7580 announced last month, have
| supported Linux, Windows, OpenBSD, and
| FreeBSD.

Lockheed Martin To Release Social Media Tool As Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] announced today that it will release a
| proprietary social media tool under an open source software license. The
| announcement, made at the Enterprise 2.0 conference in Boston, is the first
| of its kind for Lockheed Martin.

DOD launches site to develop open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Defense Department officials have launched a new Web site where developers
| can work on open-source software projects specifically for DOD, David
| Mihelcic, the chief technology officer for the Defense Information Systems
| Agency (DISA), said today.
| The new site, named Forge.mil, is based on the public site SourceForge.net
| which hosts thousands of open-source projects, Mihelcic said at an AFCEA
| Washington chapter lunch in Arlington, Va.

Sourceforge's Mirrored Content Gets a Hand

,----[ Quote ]
| With over 180,000 open source projects in its repository, SourceForge.net has
| a lot of files it needs to track and serve.
| It can become a challenge to manage all those downloads. For the most part,
| Sourceforge relies on a system of globally distributed mirror sites that help
| to deliver open source application files and programs to users.

Open source makes serious headway in the U.S. Department of Defense

,----[ Quote ]