[News] New Debate About Software Freedom in Devices as Linux Wins the Space

  • Subject: [News] New Debate About Software Freedom in Devices as Linux Wins the Space
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:59:34 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is software freedom a necessity or a distraction when it comes to consumer devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a fair bit of hand-ringing
| recently about free and open source
| softwareâs impact on mobile phones and
| other consumer devices. Lysandra Ohrstrom
| of the SFLC last week celebrated the
| increased use of FOSS on devices available
| at the Consumer Electronics Show, but
| lamented the fact that often the user does
| not get to âshare, tinker, and adapt the
| devicesâ. Meanwhile Bradley M Kuhn recently
| warned that âwe are in a very precarious
| time with regard to the freedom of mobile
| devicesâ while Glyn Moody questioned
| whether it is healthy that most Android
| applications are closed-source.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/01/20/is-software-freedom-a-necessity-or-a-distraction-when-it-comes-to-consumer-devices/

Android, Linux & Real-time Development for Embedded Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Android is an application framework on top
| of Linux. We will look at the details of
| the layers of the framework, shortly. It is
| supplied as open source code, but does not
| bind the user with the constraints of the
| GPL " there is no requirement for
| developers to make public any code
| developed using Android.
`----

http://www.embedded.com/design/222301508

Let There Be Rock: Digital Guitar Better Than The Real Thing?

,----[ Quote ]
| Believe it or not, this electronic guitar
| is actually a Gentoo Linux box, running a
| 500MHz AMD Geode processor, an 8.4-inch,
| 800Ã600 LCD touch screen with an SSH server
| and a MIDI output. It is made of milled,
| solid plastic, and could probably be hooked
| up to Rock Band. But that is to rob it of
| the romance.
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/let-there-be-rock-digital-guitar-better-than-the-real-thing/

Recent:

Windows Stationary Usurped by Linux Android, Moblin

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-amp-wireless/92668/windows-stationary-usurped-linux-android-moblin