[News] FSFE and African Press on the Importance of Freedom Software

  • Subject: [News] FSFE and African Press on the Importance of Freedom Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:58:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Free Software matters for Society (draft)

,----[ Quote ]
| Free Software is defined by four freedoms,
| and intends to create ethical relationships
| in the digital age of society, based on
| trust, responsibility and freedom.
|
| In a world where we rely increasingly upon
| Information Technologies such as software
| and networks, it is important to realize
| software is more than code. The effects of
| programs go beyond the limited scope of
| developers, and contribute to shape our
| future.
|
| The Free Software movement aims at making
| this future possible for everyone by
| ensuring fundamental principles of freedom
| for all, equally.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/hugo/?p=184

Challenges for open source software in Nigeria

,----[ Quote ]
| Collaboration has not started working
| properly in our software development
| society. The main idea behind OSS is to
| create a platform where ideas and knowledge
| are shared productively, hence creating a
| broader base for development and
| innovations. It is still rooted in our
| attitude to maintain total ownership and
| control over whatever is ours. Sharing our
| original ideas such that others can
| contribute to it and thus be a part of its
| improved version is a thinking that is
| naturally alien to us.
|
| We need a system that would facilitate open
| sharing of ideas and collaboration where
| innovations are supported, nurtured and
| protected. The only way we can come about
| this is if we believed that we should be
| proud of advances made in our local
| software terrain, whether little or
| massive. We need a true beginning.
`----

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/01/19/challenges-for-open-source-software-in-nigeria/

California CIO: Open source officially welcome here

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the
| state of California has issued an IT policy
| letter to formally affirm that open source
| software is acceptable for use by
| government agencies in California.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/01/california-cio-issues-it-policy-letter-about-open-source.ars