[News] Free Software Spreads Everywhere

A Look Behind the Scenes at Social Networking Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Twitter has been open about its use of Ruby
| on Rails as its foundation and Jabber/XMPP
| (Extensible Messaging and Presence
| Protocol) instant messaging. These are both
| open source technologies. This means that
| open source products keep the social
| networks up and running.
`----

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/daily_news/article.php/387470

SourceMap Provides An Open-Source Tool For Tracking Manufacturing Impact

,----[ Quote ]
| A project of the MIT Media Lab, SourceMap
| aims to provide insight on the origins of
| the products we consume, tracking their
| every component. The open-source tool gives
| registered users a platform for building a
| database composed of the origin, carbon
| footprint, and other impact-relevant
| characteristics of manufactured items. The
| project provides analysis tools such that
| producers, businesses owners and consumers
| can gather information concerning the
| impact of various supply chains to guide
| sustainable decision-making.
`----

http://www.psfk.com/2010/01/sourcemap-provides-an-open-source-tool-for-tracking-manufacturing-impact.html

'Inbound Marketing' and ideas for fostering the open source community

,----[ Quote ]
| You could even argue the point that the
| community of users around many open source
| technologies like MySQL, JBoss, or Apache
| are more significant than the technology
| itself. After all, there are plenty of open
| source databases, app servers, and Web
| servers to chose from. What made these
| particular products stand out in the
| marketplace? If you're using open source or
| trying to build an open source business,
| how do you tap into that community?
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/inbound-marketing-and-ideas-fostering-open-source-community-495

Benjamin Mako Hill

,----[ Quote ]
| At its core, I think of free software as
| about the ability of computer users to take
| control of their technology. Insofar as our
| software defines our experience of the
| world and each other, software freedom is
| an important part of what allows us to
| determine the way we live, work, and
| communicate.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/appeal/2009/mako/

Recent:

Open and shut

,----[ Quote ]
| The Finnish software pioneer, who founded open-source database management
| software company MySQL AB and sold it last year to Sun Microsystems Inc. for
| $1 billion, has offered his services to Oracle now that his brainchild is to
| be nestled inside the business software giant.
`----

http://www.thedeal.com/newsweekly/insights/open-and-shut.php

Unlocking the potential with Open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ciol.com/News/Interviews/Unlocking-the-potential-with-Open-source/4609120567/0/