Re: [News] GNU/Linux Attacked by Microsoft Through the MBR

____/ 7 on Friday 22 Jan 2010 22:16 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> How can people blame on GRUB if Windows doesn't like another
bootloader?

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In my opinion, it's something as simple as
>> | old Microsoft's motto in action: "It's the
>> | Microsoft way or the highway". The update
>> | process is taking a look at the MBR and
>> | notices that's it's not Windows'
>> | bootloader. "Who in their right mind would
>> | dare install something on the MBR that's
>> | not made by Microsoft?" I bet they think
>> | there at Redmond. End of the game, let's
>> | stop the update process... _and_
>> | (specially) not tell the user what's going
>> | on. It wouldn't be as insulting if at least
>> | they would suggest the user to replace the
>> | MBR with Microsoft's tools. You know, it
>> | can be replaced with GRUB a couple of
>> | minutes later after shutting Windows down
>> | after the upgrade process is done... but
>> | what do we expect from a OS that was made
>> | to resemble black magic, anyway?
>> |
>> | As I have already said before:
>> | Windows equals esotericism
>> | GNU/Linux equals determinism
>

> Equal rights in MBR should be something legislated
> as an anti-trust issue.
>
> I also think micoshaft has signed away its rights
> when it settled with the EU on anti-trust by
> allowing any company to sue micoshaft if it
> fiddled with things like the MBR.
>
> Read the EU anti-trust settlement over things like
> networking and browsers and see if micoshaft had indeed
> shot itself in the foot over this leaving itself
> open to suits if micoshaft overwrote a grub install
> into the MBR without trying to first co-exist with it
> in equal measure like what grub and lilo and numerous
> other boot loaders do.

I agree, there should be class action or antitrust over it.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
http://Schestowitz.com  | Free as in Free Beer |  PGP-Key:
0x74572E8E