[News] GNU/Linux Games Situation Not Bad as People Imagine

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Games Situation Not Bad as People Imagine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:17:41 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

IBM's Bob Sutor Questions Linux Gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Last night Sutor then shared numerous Linux
| gaming links about some of the best games for
| Linux along with others that are open-source.
| Some of the great Linux games out there
| include Nexuiz, Alien Arena, ET: Quake Wars,
| and soon we should have some Unigine-based
| titles available along with many others.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzg5NQ

Is Cedega Hanging in There?

,----[ Quote ]
| As I've said in the past: I think Cedega is
| good software, however there is more to buying
| software than just the product itself. Here is
| to hoping Transgaming can get their customer
| service act together in 2010, because - while
| I like CXGames, competition is a wonderful
| driving factor in the business world.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/01/is-cedega-hanging-in-there.html

Recent:

Alien Arena 7.32

,----[ Quote ]
| Alien Arena, an open source multiplayer game
| that combines retro and modern sci-fi
| themes, is now at version 7.32...
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/14260

Nexuiz - Looking good!

,----[ Quote ]
| Nexuiz 2.5.1 is a tremendous improvement
| over old versions and a great standalone
| game overall. It has everything a young,
| violent mind needs - good, fast pace,
| mindless killing, lots of weapons, and
| graphics par excellence. Singleplayer has
| shaped up, offering new challenge to the
| players. The multiplayer mode is as fun as
| it has always been, quick and brutal.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/nexuiz.html

Cedega vs Crossover Games - Hands on Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Most people who use Linux for desktop use
| are well aware of the one of the largest
| issues facing the platform: Lack of
| commercial software. Now in most cases this
| is not an issue, no MS Office - use
| OpenOffice, no Internet Explorer - use
| FireFox. However one thing which there is
| currently no replacement for is gaming. Try
| as they might there are just not enough
| Open-Source game developers (or even closed-
| sourced ones) that bring the level of gaming
| quality, as of yet, to Linux that Windows
| enjoys.
|
| [...]
|
| I prefer Codeweavers to Cedega, come the end
| of the year I do not think I will be
| renewing my Cedega license Which of the two
| is right for you is your choice, I just hope
| my little comparison here may have presented
| you with some information on each of them
| you had not known before.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2009/10/cedega-vs-crossover-games-hands-on.html

FlightGear- Opensource flight simulator

,----[ Quote ]
| Did you ever want to fly a plane yourself,
| but lacked the money or ability to do so?
| Are you a real pilot looking to improve your
| skills without having to take off? Do you
| want to try some dangerous maneuvers without
| risking your life?
`----

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-gaming/487-flightgear-opensource-flight-simulator-

Nexuiz 2.5.2 Released