[News] Censorship and Civil Rights Doublespeak in Australia and the US

  • Subject: [News] Censorship and Civil Rights Doublespeak in Australia and the US
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:06:11 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Lundy plays good cop to Conroy's bad cop

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week at the annual Australian national
| Linux conference in New Zealand, Waugh, a
| former self-styled open source advocate, was
| using loads of  tired bizspeak to promote
| the so-called open government policy  - but
| she avoided saying anything about the
| filter. When someone dd try to engage her on
| the subject, she did a deft sidestep.
|
| Meanwhile, yesterday, at the closing
| ceremony of the same conference, the other
| half of the family, Jeff, was urging people
| to black out their avatars on their social
| networking sites to protest against the
| policy.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30665&Itemid=1090

Internet Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| The prepared text of U.S. of Secretary of
| State Hillary Rodham Clinton's speech,
| delivered at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.
|
| [...]
|
| But it's also the smart thing to do. By
| advancing this agenda, we align our
| principles, our economic goals, and our
| strategic priorities. We need to create a
| world in which access to networks and
| information brings people closer together,
| and expands our definition of community.
|
| Given the magnitude of the challenges we're
| facing, we need people around the world to
| pool their knowledge and creativity to help
| rebuild the global economy, protect our
| environment, defeat violent extremism, and
| build a future in which every human being
| can realize their God-given potential.
`----

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/01/21/internet_freedom?page=full

Recent:

Clinton praised for Internet freedom speech

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/333472/clinton_praised_internet_freedom_speech?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1