[News] KDE Conferences Coverage, Foresight

Camp KDE Day Three Technical Talks Summaries

,----[ Quote ]
| The third day of talks at Camp KDE was
| somewhat shorter, due to the afternoon Cmake
| training provided by Marcus Hanwell of
| Kitware. However, in order to provide
| complete coverage of the talks for the
| readers of the dot, summaries of the third
| day's technical talks are provided within.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2010/01/21/camp-kde-day-three-technical-talks-summaries

Lancelot forked

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been really lazy to write anything
| here for quite some time now. I enjoyed the
| simple life away from the blogocube (itâs
| actually a dodecahedron, but
| blogododecahedron is a mouthful) but now Iâm
| back.
|
| [...]
|
| The next step was the /fork/ from the title.
| The data models (aka every item list you see
| in Lancelot) are moved into a separate
| library called liblancelot-datamodels. Both
| libraries (liblancelot and liblancelot-
| datamodels) now reside in kdeplasma-
| addons/libs so that they can be used by any
| other plasmoid (or any other program for
| that matter).
|
| This is a way of saying âliblancelot is now
| considered stable enough to be used even
| outside of Lancelotâ.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2010/01/22/lancelot-forke/

[KDE:] key quest: silk

,----[ Quote ]
| I used to have a silk dress shirt. It was a
| rich blue color, a bit loose fitting and
| just great for the hot and humid semi-
| tropical climate of Hawaii where I was
| living at the time. That isn't the kind of
| silk this blog entry is about, however.
| Rather it's going to be about KDE Silk which
| is a project which aims to deeply integrate
| online content and communication into the
| user experience.
|
| To quote the KDE Silk wiki page: "The goal
| of Project Silk is deep coupling of the web
| with the user experience while overcoming
| limitations of the browser. "Freeing the Web
| From the Browser", so to say. Project Silk
| takes the opposite direction of Google's
| Chrome OS, instead of making the browser the
| Operating System, we integrate the content
| and the communication deeply into the
| desktop and application "
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/01/key-questt-silk.html

[KDE:] key quest: web presence

,----[ Quote ]
| When I was contemplating the topics for my
| "Key Quests for 2010" list in December 2009,
| even before I had decided whether I'd share
| the list with others, the issue of KDE's web
| footprint came up pretty quickly in the
| process. It is very often our first
| impression for people who would like to get
| involved or who would like to find out more
| about us. It is where people go before they
| know how to (or if they want to) communicate
| with us directly. It also has been something
| we've really struggled with improving.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/01/key-quest-web-presence.html

[KDE:] key quest: webkit

,----[ Quote ]
| The list of "Key Quests for 2010" was
| alphabetical. It was a sensible ordering and
| it prevented me from having to prioritize
| them in some linear fashion that could never
| be definitive anyways: all the points are
| important, though often in different ways,
| for different reasons and even with
| different key audiences. So, alphabetical
| ordering it was! This meant that WebKit was
| going to be the last topic, and now here we
| are. (Honestly, I'm glad I'll be able to get
| back to more "stream of consciousness, spur
| of the moment" blogging! :)
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/01/key-quest-webkit.html

Recent:

A Preview of KDE 4.4

,----[ Quote ]
| I saved the best for last. I have long
| believed that applications like
| OpenOffice.org should have support for
| tabbed word processing. It just makes
| sense. Why should tabs be limited to web
| browsers or file managers? With KDE, you
| no longer have to wait on individual
| application developers. The KWin window
| manager itself supports tabbing.
|
| Simply right click on a windowâs title bar
| and select âMove to window groupâ. Then,
| select the window you want to group with
| it. Almost like magic, the two windows
| will become one, and there will be two or
| more tabs in the title bar. But this
| feature is not only limited within
| applications. You can group any
| application with any other. You could
| group a Firefox window with a Konqueror
| one and compare website rendering, which
| is useful for web design. KDEâs window
| specific features also now give you the
| ability to set how you want new windows of
| an application to group. For example, my
| OpenOffice.org documents now automatically
| open in new tabs rather than new windows.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/kde-4-4-preview/2010/01/18

key quest: nepomuk

,----[ Quote ]
| Nepomuk, the "social-semantic desktop"
| framework named with a cute half-dragon
| namesake. It's an amazing set of
| technologies, but there are two huge
| challenges for it in 2010. If we conquer
| those challenges together, we will be
| laughing.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/01/key-quest-nepomuk.html

key quest: mobilizing and enabling KDE users

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE has added new dimensions to our
| repertoire over the last few years. A move
| towards greater awareness that we are part
| of a larger free culture movement that has
| taken hold in various ways and form around
| the world is one such shift. It hasn't
| changed what we do (create client-side
| software with all the trimmings) but it
| has changed some of how we do it and what
| we include in our software.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/01/key-quest-mobilizing-and-enabling-kde.html

Software Compilation 4.4 RC1 Release Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, KDE has released the first release
| candidate of the next version of the KDE
| Software Compilation (KDE SC). KDE SC 4.4
| Release Candidate 1 provides a testing
| base for identifying bugs in the upcoming
| KDE Software Compilation 4.4, with its
| components the KDE Plasma Workspaces, the
| Applications powered by KDE, and the KDE
| Development Platform.
`----

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.4-rc1.php

KDE SC 4.4 branched, trunk reopens