[News] [Rival] Microsoft's SVG Lip Service Worthless

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's SVG Lip Service Worthless
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:45:30 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is Microsoft leading or following with SVG?

,----[ Quote ]
| As usual, Microsoft's action drew considerable
| scrutiny and even skepticism. It's not hard to
| find commenters who write about "false
| marriage", "damage" and lock-out. The major
| market reality that has impacted SVG for years
| is that all major Web browsers support it--
| except for Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
| Numerous projects have decided against SVG in
| their designs precisely because of this lack.
|
| Initial reaction to Microsoft's decision has
| been, in my paraphrase: "Finally! Soon IE will
| support SVG, and we can get back to our
| programming." I'm unconvinced -- but also unsure
| that it matters.
|
| There's no guarantee that Microsoft will ever
| upgrade IE again, let alone that it'll include
| SVG. Even if it does, it'll be many years before
| use of earlier versions (IE 5, 6, 7, and 8, for
| example) falls below whatever threshold
| decision-makers decide should apply.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/development/92102/microsoft-leading-or-following-svg

British Airways wants to force Microsoft to be in court

,----[ Quote ]
| A man suing British Airways over an alleged
| aircraft accident at London City Airport on
| February 13 2009 is claiming that because of it
| he lost his job at Microsoft.
|
| Raymond Hamblin worked for the Global Practices
| Group of Microsoft and wants damages from BA for
| both lost income and future earnings.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-brief/45440-british-airways-wants-to-force-microsoft-to-be-in-court

Recent:

Flash is coming to the iPhone, thanks to Gordon

,----[ Quote ]
| Schneider (pictured right, next to Flash
| Gordon) married up Javascript with the
| iPhone's inbuilt support for Scalable
| Vector Graphics (SVG), an open-source
| competitor to Flash, which hasn't taken off
| to the same extent as Flash, due to the
| fact that Adobe had years of head-start in
| terms of getting the software installed on
| virtually all PCs.
`----

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=5078

Web code is already open - why not make it free as well

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh dear. After the debacle with Microsoft
| Polandâs apparent racist photoshopping,
| Microsoft China went and got the company in
| hot water for allegedly âstealingâ code.
| Yes you read that right: Microsoft and
| wholesale âtheftâ of code from another
| website. Of course itâs not âtheftâ itâs
| copyright infringement but tomayto/tomarto.
| Microsoft confessed blaming a vendor they
| had worked with. No surprise really but the
| damage to their name may have already been
| done. Thereâs more to discuss here than
| Microsoftâs already tarnished reputation
| though. The issue raises some important
| points in favour of free software and
| points to why more if not all code should
| benefit from free licencing.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/web_code_already_open_why_not_make_it_free

And So It Begins Again: Microsoft Joins SVG Group

,----[ Quote ]
| The primary point of interest to me in this
| is the idea of Microsoft joining a Working
| Group for a technology that it has been
| pointedly ignoring  for 11 years, and for
| which Microsoft can boast an industry
| leading  0.00% support for in its latest
| and greatest browser.
|
| What exactly is Microsoft going to
| contribute here? What deep pool of SVG
| experience and credibility gets Microsoft a
| seat at the table?
|
| [...]
|
| In any case, now the W3C will probably be
| burning calories proving Microsoft hasnât
| corrupted the W3C ISO-OOXML style.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/01/and-so-it-begins-again-microsoft-joins-svg-group/

SVG Web: Google Brings SVG Support to Internet Explorer

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is a true master when it comes to ignoring Web standards. Thanks to
| Google, that could now change in terms of the SVG vector graphics format.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/SVG-Web-Google-Brings-SVG-Support-to-Internet-Explorer

Related:

Microsoft's IE not good enough for web creator

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/11/microsoft-ie-enough-web-creator
http://tinyurl.com/4898oc