Re: [News] A Look at Debian GNU/Linux on Ancient Box (120Mhz)

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 25 Jan 2010 16:28 : \____

>> A Windows XP-ish Debian at 120Mhz
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The novelty in this is not in the desktop
>>| arrangement; Iâve been slowly tweaking and
>>| adjusting this setup for the better part of a
>>| year. In fact the fun part of this is that Iâve
>>| never been able to arrange it on this machine,
>>| even though I wanted to for quite a while.
>> `----
>>
>> http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/01/24/a-windows-xp-ish-debian-at-120mhz/
>>
>> Rounding out a terminal-based Debian system
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Test runs at 120Mhz suggest this is a clean and
>>| brisk way to browse without overburdening the
>>| machine to a point of unusability. Firefox with
>>| Flash it is not, but if you are an unbeliever
>>| and demand a graphical browser on a Pentium Pro,
>>| this will satisfy. Furthermore, adding fbi to
>>| your system brings along fbgs, which allows you
>>| to display images and pdf files, respectively.
>>| For the reverse, try fbgrab and share your
>>| desktops with the world.
>> `----
>>
>> http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/01/24/rounding-out-a-terminal-based-debian-system/
>
> Interesting - I hadn't seen links2 before, although I recall that the
> links team were looking at a graphical version of links a long time ago.
>
> I still use lynx :-)

For a lightweight browser in KDE, Konqueror is a good option too (but no CLI/ncurses option).

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"Trying to make digital files uncopyable is like trying to make
water not wet." -- Bruce Schneier
roy      pts/0        :0               Sat Jan 16 04:09   still logged in