[News] Mozilla Firefox Just Got a Lot Faster, Tests Show

  • Subject: [News] Mozilla Firefox Just Got a Lot Faster, Tests Show
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:05:41 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Firefox Takes a 15% Speed Jump

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla's new Firefox 3.6 is about 15%
| faster than its predecessor, Firefox 3.5,
| but still is a slowpoke compared to the
| current speed demons, Apple's Safari and
| Google's Chrome, benchmark tests show.
|
| According to tests run by Computerworld ,
| Firefox 3.6, which Mozilla launched on
| Thursday, is the third fastest of five
| Windows browsers tested. Firefox renders
| JavaScript three times faster than Opera 10
| and more than four times faster than
| Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 (IE8). It's
| also 14.5% faster than Firefox 3.5, the
| Mozilla browser that debuted in June 2009, a
| slightly larger speed increase than Mozilla
| has claimed.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187569/firefox_takes_a_15_percent_speed_jump.html?tk=rss_news

Mozilla Firefox Gets More 'Agile' with Lorentz

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla is now embarking on a new
| development and release model for its
| flagship Firefox open source Web browser.
| The model will meld both fast-moving Agile
| and more traditional "waterfall" development
| methodologies in an attempt to more quickly
| iterate new features while maintaining
| backwards compatibility, security and
| overall code quality.
`----

http://www.developer.com/open/article.php/3860226/Mozilla-Firefox-Gets-More-Agile-with-Lorentz.htm

Firefox gets an update, is 20 percent faster

,----[ Quote ]
| "Firefox 3.6 is more than 20 percent faster
| than Firefox 3.5 and includes extensive
| under the hood work to improve performance
| for everyday Web tasks such as email,
| uploading photos, social networking, and
| more. It also delivers new features like
| customizable browser themes called Personas,
| a ground-breaking Plugin updater, improved
| JavaScript performance, and enhancements to
| familiar favorites like the Awesome Bar for
| a better, more personal Web experience,"
| announced Mozilla via their blog on January
| 21.
`----

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/firefox-gets-an-update-is-20-percent-faster-1876328.html

Firefox surges

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox downloads boosted by new release and
| Internet Explorer security scare.
|
| Mozilla's open source browser experienced a
| healthy boost in popularity last week on the
| back of a new release and security concerns
| about Microsoft's Internet Explorer.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/11239.html

8 Firefox Add-ons I Canât Do Without

http://webworkerdaily.com/2010/01/25/8-firefox-add-ons-i-cant-do-without/

5 Firefox Add-ons For Better KDE Integration

http://maketecheasier.com/5-firefox-add-ons-for-better-kde-integration/2010/01/25

Goofy Pro-Linux Story to Counter Pundit's Awkward Efforts to Install Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| I do see how arguments arise about whether
| Ubuntu (or any other Linux) is user-
| friendly. In this case I considered it user-
| friendly because it allowed a user with very
| little experience the latitude to muddle
| about until he found a route to the result
| he wanted. I can also see the viewpoint of a
| user in a hurry who is upset because it
| takes more than one push of a button to
| achieve his goal. It's a sensitive balance
| between ease of operation and scope of
| control.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/6963/1/

Recent:

Review: Firefox 3.6 brings joy to Web devs, not just users

,----[ Quote ]
| The PluginCheck feature is made possible by
| a Web service that Mozilla launched last
| year which matches the user's plugin
| versions against a remote database of plug-
| in information. The backend Web service,
| called PFS2, is also used to help users find
| the appropriate plug-ins to enable support
| for certain kinds of content.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/01/hands-on-firefox-36.ars

Firefox 3.6 is now available for download

https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2010/01/21/firefox-3-6-is-now-available-for-download/

Tour the new Firefox 3.6

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10439392-12.html

Firefox 3.6: Spacer trick for prettier Personas

http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2010/01/21/1334/

Install Firefox 3.6 in Ubuntu the Super Easy Way using Ubuntuzilla

http://techdrivein.blogspot.com/2010/01/install-firefox-36-in-ubuntu-super-easy.html

Install Firefox 3.6 on Ubuntu in 3 Easy Steps

http://nathanrhale.com/2010/01/21/install-firefox-3-6-on-ubuntu-in-3-easy-steps/

Firefox 3.6 is 20 Percent Faster

http://ulyssesonline.com/2010/01/21/firefox-3-6-is-20-percent-faster/

Review: Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Is More Than Just An Add-On

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/product/review--mozilla-firefox-3-6-is-more-than-just-an-add-on-3109

Firefox 3.6 upgrade or not?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=1632

YouTube announces HTML5 demo, but not for FireFox 3.6

http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/01/youtube-html5

Give Firefox 3.5/3.6 The Look Of Firefox 4 For Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/get-firefox-4-theme-in-linux-now.html