[News] Farmington Libraries Decide to Adopt Free/Open Source Software

  • Subject: [News] Farmington Libraries Decide to Adopt Free/Open Source Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:04:10 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

ByWater Solutions Partners with the Farmington Libraries for Koha Installation and Support

,----[ Quote ]
| ByWater Solutions, an open source community
| supporter and official Koha support company,
| announced today that The Farmington Libraries,
| of Farmington, CT. has partnered with them for
| the implementation of the open source community
| version of the Koha integrated library system.
`---

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11852.html

Moving forward in Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, the judgments should come from
| the mind, and not the heart. Your heart should
| be put into improving the Open Source
| application. That will certainly help Open
| Source grow.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Operating-System/Feature/Moving-forward-in-Open-Source/25110130496/0/

Recent:

Koha Optimistic That Forked Tree -- And Troubles -- Are History

,----[ Quote ]
| Koha developers, contributors, and users
| might sum up the past year with a bastardized
| comic book tag line: "With great adoption
| comes great growing pains." Many now,
| however, hope the worst of it is ready to be
| shelved away.
|
| Koha, incidentally, was my first introduction
| to how great the open source developer
| community is. I was installing it on my home
| machine -- to see how it stacked up, and to
| file away for a later date when licenses were
| begging for renewal. While I wasn't someone
| with much say in renewing proprietary
| licenses on the consortia level, I was very
| impressed with how Koha worked. I was more
| impressed, however, when I pondered aloud on
| my personal site why I was having such a
| problem with a Perl script, that then-release
| manager Chris Cormack left a suggestion in my
| comments as to where things were going wrong.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/koha-optimistic-that-forked-tree-and-troubles-are-history

Another Microsoft horror story, the Huntington Indiana public library

,----[ Quote ]
| The library in Marion, Indiana, just 15 miles or so south of me, uses Linux. Not only do
| they use Linux, they use a distribution based on the free Fedora Linux called Userful
| Discoverstation which uses terminal multiplexing. This allows one tower to power 10
| workstations with their own monitors, keyboards, and mice. This is not only much better
| for the environment than having 10 boxes running their own copy of the OS, it saves on
| the electric bill, and they donât have to buy licenses from Microsoft. (You could set up
| a free Linux distro to get the same effect, Userful just makes it easier).
`----

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/another-microsoft-horror-story-the-huntington-indiana-public-library/

British Library Turns Traitor

,----[ Quote ]
| This once-great institution used to be about opening up the world's knowledge
| for the benefit and enjoyment of all: today, it's about closing it down so
| that only those who can afford to pay get to see it.
|
| What an utter disgrace.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/07/british-library-turns-traitor.html

British Library fears loss of history

,----[ Quote ]
| Lynne Brindley, director of the British Library, said that data and
| information on our time that has been entrusted to the web is being lost as
| some sites close or the technology they have stored the information on
| becomes obsolete.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/623/1050623/british-library-fears-loss-history

Related:

No need to burn books you can't read - DRM and public libraries

,----[ Quote ]
| As my correspondent says: "After all that I still couldn't open the document
| (which I've only opened once before) and got this. Now I know I haven't
| opened the document at another computer because this is my only computer with
| a printer - so I didn't open it anywhere else. I am never using this service
| again. The British Library, Microsoft and Adobe can go shove their DRM up
| their document delivery service exit. "
|
| This, let me reiterate, is a public body providing publicly paid-for research
| to a highly-qualified professional engaged in impeccable work for the public
| service.
|
| It is hard to imagine something more expensive, condescending, inaccurate,
| frustrating and enraging â nor something better calculated to restrict
| knowledge and broadcast ignorance.
|
| It's almost as if the parties involved actively want to prevent people
| learning. It certainly feels that way.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10009526o-2000331777b,00.htm

BL = Betrayed Library

,----[ Quote ]
| So the BL's idea of progress is locking down books - you know, those
| old-fashioned things without DRM - with patent-encumbered technology.
| That's "giving as wide an audience as possible the most accurate experience
| of reading the real thing"? Only in the minds of rather dim librarians who
| understand nothing about the broader implications of the shiny technology
| they choose. Me, I call it a betrayal of everything the once-great BL stood
| for....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/08/bl-betrayed-library.html

Good bye, British Library

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an image from the good old days. Microsoft's Jean Paoli hands over
| the OOXML specification to Jan van den Beld, the general secretary of ECMA.
| And you find Adam Farquhar from the British Library, the bearded person on
| the right. The British Library was instrumental to legitimizing the whole
| ECMA and ISO OOXML standardisation process as an 'independent' participant in
| the committee work. ECMA did a brilliant job to mature the specification text
| to get it ISO fast-tracked. Or as the ISO BRM convenor and recent consultant
| for the British Library Alex Brown reflects1:
|
|     Ecma made the road very rocky though, by initially producing a text that
|     was so lousy with faults.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61777/good-bye-british-library

Ecma - a case study for vendor capture