[News] Intellectual Monopolies (Copyright Cartel) Challenged Further

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies (Copyright Cartel) Challenged Further
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:46:33 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

TCLP 2010-01-20 Interview: Danny OâBrien on ACTA

,----[ Quote ]
| Due to the length of the interview, there is
| also no new hacker word of the week this
| week.
|
| The feature this week is an interview with
| Danny OâBrien on ACTA. I was inspired to
| contact Danny after hearing him on FLOSS
| Weekly. In the course of the interview, we
| mention Michael Geist, Knowledge Ecology and
| Public Knowledge. Visit EFF to learn more
| about ACTA and the other issues on which
| Danny is working and take action at their
| action center.
`----

http://thecommandline.net/2010/01/20/danny_obrien_acta/

Film Industry Head Glickman Leaves To Head Refugee Organisation

,----[ Quote ]
| Bob Pisano, MPAA president and chief
| operating officer since 2005, will become
| interim CEO, and the search for Glickmanâs
| replacement continues. Pisano came to MPAA
| after heading the Screen Actors Guild, and
| serving at several major movie production
| companies.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2010/01/22/film-industry-head-glickman-leaves-to-head-refugee-organisation/

Yeager and Other Letters Re Liberty article "Libertarianism and Intellectual Property"

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002379

State of the Music Industry Part 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps the greatest challenge to all of the
| technologists that participate in the New
| Music Seminar is to correct that issue so
| that great music can rise to its true
| potential regardless of politics, power or
| money. I believe that the next decade will
| bring improvement to the music web that
| allow that to happen. In the meantime,
| artists can still make a very good living
| without selling 10,000 albums by careful
| cultivation of their fan relationships. This
| is another theme of the New Music Seminarâ
| redefining the music business around the
| artist/fan relationshipâhow to manage itâhow
| to monetize it.  Records are no longer
| currency in the next music businessâfans
| are.
|
| Hereâs the list of the 12 artists that sold
| over 10,000 albums in 2008 for the first
| time.  Remember these are 12 albums out of
| 105,575 new album releases that year.
|
| BON IVER
| Record Label: Jagjaguwar (US/CAN)
| Album: For Emma Forever Ago
| 103,112
|
| TMI BOYZ
| Record Label: TMI Entertainment
| Album: Grindinâ For a Purpose
| 29,119
`----

http://musiciancoaching.com/music-business/state-of-the-music-industry-part-3/

The Future Of Music Business Models (And Those Who Are Already There)

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead, let's let the magic of the market continue to work. New
| technologies are making it easier than ever for musicians to
| create, distribute and promote music -- and also to make
| money doing so. In the past, the music business was a
| "lottery," where only a very small number made any money
| at all. With these models, more musicians than ever before
| are making money today, and they're not doing it by worrying
| about copyright or licensing. They're embracing what the
| tools allow. A recent study from Harvard showed how much
| more music is being produced today than at any time in
| history, and the overall music ecosystem -- the amount of
| money paid in support of music -- is at an all time high,
| even if less and less of it is going to the purchase of
| plastic discs.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091119/1634117011.shtml

Recent:

Music Industry Set For Civil Action Against OiNK

,----[ Quote ]
| Alan Ellis, the ex-admin of the OiNK
| BitTorrent tracker, was cleared of Conspiracy
| to Defraud by jury of his peers last week.
| But now it seems that as one battle ends,
| another begins. IFPI says it is considering
| civil action, and is committed to reclaiming
| the money donated to the site in order to
| give it back to the artists.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/music-industry-set-for-civil-action-against-oink-100121/

Pigopolists wants another stab at OiNK

,----[ Quote ]
| John Kennedy, chief executive of the
| International Federation of the
| Phonographic Industry (IFPI), said the
| industry is considering civil proceedings
| against Ellis in a second bid to collect
| the Â180,000 it claims he made from running
| the invite-only file sharing website.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/21/ifpi_oink_action_annual_report/

No, David Bowie Is Not Responsible For The Financial Crisis

,----[ Quote ]
| We've talked in the past about some of the
| many rather innovative efforts by David Bowie
| to come up with new business models. He's
| been a huge pioneer in embracing what new
| technologies allow -- and also new markets
| and financial opportunities.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100119/1134547816.shtml

Parties Lobby FCC on Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
| RIAA / MPAA
|
| The Recording Industry Association of
| America and the Motion Picture Association
| of America have an established love-hate
| relationship with the Internet. Perhaps
| more hate-hate. The recording and motion
| picture industries are still struggling to
| find their footing and adapt to a world
| where MP3's replaced CD's, and where
| streaming movies are replacing DVD's.
|
| Dating back to the early days of Napster,
| the RIAA and MPAA have lobbied for
| legislation and leveraged the court system
| to combat online piracy. In its filing on
| net neutrality with the FCC, the RIAA wrote
| "we encourage the FCC to stay its course
| and explicitly support, encourage, and
| endorse ISP efforts to fight piracy."
|
| EFF
|
| On the opposite end of the spectrum, the
| EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) is
| urging individuals to join its petition to
| convince the FCC to remove language from
| the proposed net neutrality guidelines
| which provide a legal loophole for the
| entertainment industry to "hijack the
| Internet."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/bizfeed/187003/parties_lobby_fcc_on_net_neutrality.html?tk=rss_news

RIAA tells FCC: ISPs need to be copyright cops

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9145198/RIAA_tells_FCC_ISPs_need_to_be_copyright_cops