[News] "Against Monopoly" Comes Out Against Patents

  • Subject: [News] "Against Monopoly" Comes Out Against Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:49:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Libertarian Patent Lawyer Defends Patent Law

,----[ Quote ]
| I see here a libertarian patent lawyer who
| is taking it for granted that patents are
| legitimate property rights--presumably
| because he believes the law should grant a
| monopoly license to provide "the exclusivity
| needed to encourage investment in new
| technology." Patents are not legitimate
| property rights. They are mercantalist,
| monopolistic abominations. Libertarians,
| including libertarian patent attorneys,
| should oppose the patent system.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002382

Patent Lawyer Mostly Agrees With Me

,----[ Quote ]
| For years I have been wondering what the
| EPO, JPO, and KIPO are doing right that the
| USPTO is not and why can't the USPTO look
| and see what the EPO, JPO, and KIPO are
| doing to figure it out and then adopt it. It
| reminds me of the time that Bush's first
| crony appointment to head the PTO came to
| our PIPLA meeting and told us "We've got the
| best patent office in the world." In
| reality, we wouldn't even get the bronze
| metal. Our typical American chauvinism
| prevents us from looking elsewhere for
| improvement.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002396

ArcelorMittal, IPCom, Bimbo: Intellectual Property (Update1)

,----[ Quote ]
| An affiliate of ArcelorMittal, the worldâs
| largest steelmaker, sued some of its biggest
| rivals alleging infringement of a U.S.
| patent for hot- and cold-rolled metal
| sheeting used for car bodies.
|
| ArcelorMittal France contends AK Steel Corp.
| of West Chester, Ohio; Severstal Dearborn
| Inc. of Dearborn, Michigan; and Wheeling-
| Nisshin Inc. of Follansbee, West Virginia,
| should pay damages and stop using the
| invention for aluminum-coated boron steel
| products and a thermal treatment process
| used to strengthen auto parts.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601100&sid=a.DZhXPhsSkc

Recent: