[News] Apple Harms Free Software and GNU/Linux with Its Patents

  • Subject: [News] Apple Harms Free Software and GNU/Linux with Its Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:50:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Multitouch hack for Nexus One

,----[ Quote ]
| According to sources, Google was forced to
| remove multitouch functionality from the
| Nexus One because Apple owns patents
| covering its use in mobile devices.
`----

http://www.top10.co.uk/mobilephones/news/2010/01/multitouch_hack_for_nexus_one/

Compiz, Patents, and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| No, this isnât about the stupid max_waves
| conflict with Appleâs patent that everyone
| has been ranting (and working around) for
| the last few years. From what I hear the
| future 0.9.0 release wonât be hampered by
| it, but how does Compiz fare with patents?
| Who made Compiz, and whoâs working on it
| today?
`----

http://santiance.com/2010/01/compiz-patents-and-ubuntu/

Patents biggest threat to free software

,----[ Quote ]
| Samba developer Andrew Tridgell reckons the
| open source community is poor at fighting
| patent attacks, but says things could
| improve with a change in strategy.
|
| Samba developer and Australian open source
| legend Andrew Tridgell has had plenty of
| experience dealing with interesting legal
| issues while trying to get Linux servers
| communicating with Windows, but he now sees
| the exploitation of patents as the biggest
| threat to the open source movement.
`----

http://apcmag.com/patents-biggest-threat-to-free-software.htm

Recent:

Nokia Lawsuit Looks to Block Imports of iPhones, iPods, and Macs

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia last week asked a federal court to
| block Apple from importing virtually any of
| Apple's current hardware into the U.S.,
| including the iPhone, iPod and Mac lines.
|
| The lawsuit -- the second Nokia has filed
| against Apple in the patent war that broke
| out last October -- is nearly identical to
| the complaint the Finnish phone
| manufacturer filed with the U.S.
| International Trade Commission (ITC) on
| Dec. 29. In that complaint, Nokia also
| demanded that Apple be barred from bringing
| "all of Apple's electronic devices that
| infringe one or more claims of the Asserted
| Patents" into the U.S.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185871/nokia_sues_apple.html?tk=rss_news

Nokia jacks up Apple patent complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia has upped the ante in its patent-
| infringement battle against Apple by extending
| its accusations to cover "virtually all of
| [Apple's] mobile phones, portable music players,
| and computers," according to a statement by the
| fiesty Finns.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/29/nokia_files_usitc_complain_against_apple/

Nokia says most Apple products violate its patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia has ramped up its legal fight against
| Apple, arguing that almost all of its products
| infringe Nokia patents.

Nokia Files ITC Patent Complaint Against Apple

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185561/nokia_files_itc_patent_complaint_against_apple.html?tk=rss_news

Nokia sues Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| NOKIA HAS called down upon itself the wrath
| of Steve Jobs by daring to sue the glorious
| Iphone religion.
|
| Nokia dares to suggest that Apple's Iphone
| technology did not spring virgin from the
| brow of St Steve of Cappuccino but actually
| had been previously patented by Nokia.
|
| It seems that the Nokian kings of Espoo
| claim that the Iphone infringes Nokia's
| patents for GSM, UMTS and wireless LAN
| (WLAN) standards.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1559575/nokia-sues-apple

Nokia suing Apple over the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia, the world's biggest mobile phone
| maker, has said that it is suing its US
| rival Apple for infringing patents on mobile
| phone technology for the iPhone.

Nokia Files Patent Lawsuit Against Apple

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/174168/nokia_files_patent_lawsuit_against_apple.html