[News] Intellectual Monopoly and Especially Software Patents Bound to Burst, EU Sends Petition

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopoly and Especially Software Patents Bound to Burst, EU Sends Petition
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:51:27 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is IP another bubble about to burst? A view from another civilization.

,----[ Quote ]
| As a child growing up in India, one of the
| first things I learned is a hymn to
| Saraswati, the Goddess of Knowledge, which
| says that:
|
| Wonderful is your gift of knowledge
| the more we share, the more it grows
| the more we hoard it, the more it diminishes
|
| As a grown-up living in a globalized world,
| I am constantly bombarded by the the term,
| âintellectual property.â Policy makers keep
| saying that India should create more IP.
| Countless seminars extol the virtues of IP
| even as patents are granted for âMethod for
| swinging on a swing,â "Method for Concealing
| Partial Baldness." In the computer industry,
| patents are routinely granted for things
| that are obvious and have been known for
| years. Things have come to such a pass that
| even an industry veteran like Andy Grove was
| forced to say that,  âThe true value of an
| invention is its usefulness to the public.
| Patents themselves have become products.
| They're instruments of investment traded on
| a separate market, often by speculators
| motivated by the highest financial return on
| their investment....
|
| [...]
|
| When we look back on our times, we may find
| that the term, "Intellectual Property" has
| taken its place along side another archaic
| term, "Horseless Carriage." Both were
| attempts to impose metaphors of the past on
| the future. And the folly of our times is
| that we treat inexhaustible resources like
| knowledge as finite resource and treat
| finite resources like oil and forests as
| infinite resources. The sooner we turn these
| attitudes around, the better it will be for
| the future of mankind.
`----

http://opensource.com/law/09/12/ip-another-bubble-about-burst-view-another-civilization

Software patents petition pushed

,----[ Quote ]
| A PETITION opposing software patents has
| been launched in Europe with the hope of
| preventing costly legal battles and
| restrictive policies.
|
| It has long been thought that patenting
| software was counter-productive to
| innovation in the industry, and the adoption
| of software patents in the UK and Europe has
| long been debated. This latest online
| petition looks to be gathering broad support
| in light of some recent disputes.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1588497/software-patents-petition-pushed

Recent:

W3C sidesteps Apple over widget-patent

,----[ Quote ]
| The W3C has spent the last three months
| poring over Apple's patent on remote
| updating, and the web standards organization
| thinks the patent can be avoided by careful
| wording and tweaking a couple of APIs.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/09/widget_patents/

Apple Wants Patents For Crippling Cellphones

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/10/02/1214248/Apple-Wants-Patents-For-Crippling-Cellphones?from=rss