Re: [News] BBC Enters the Dark Side and Punished Free Software Using DRM

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 26 Jan 2010 14:27 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 25 Jan 2010 16:33 : \____
>>

>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>> copy-protection-665556
>>>>

>>> One suspects that some aspects of the BBC's charter are being broken
>>> here.  Personally, I'd rather they didn't carry any HD than do this,
>>> which is as wrong as wrong can be.
>>>
>>> Can we start a campaign to stop HD on freeview?  Or at least, stop
>>> corrupted HD on freeview?
>>
>> I think they work on some workaround for FOSS, but I can't see it happening.
>> And they talk about "IPR" when asked about it (I saw it earlier, can't recall
>> where).
>>

> IPR is a catch-all which is used as a shield against legitimate inquiry.
>
> I think we should push, then, for the Beeb to avoid transmitting any
> "HD" which isn't theirs to transmit.  I suspect that HD will go the same
> way as most of the "developments", like DVDs being interactive, scene
> selection and so on, or anyone caring about picture quality.
>
> Some of these things will happen in the end, but like 3G, probably not
> in any way which results in increased revenue for anyone.

What they meant in this context, IIRC, is that people cannot store the stuff locally
or share it in any way. They haven't heard of screen grabbers at the Beeb, I guess.

"Everybody is connected to everybody else, all data that can be shared will
be shared will be shared: get used to it."

		--Eben Moglen

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Code built upon another's is less prone to bugs
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie