[News] 5 Tips for Making Firefox More Qt/KDE Compatible, KOffice RDF Improves

  • Subject: [News] 5 Tips for Making Firefox More Qt/KDE Compatible, KOffice RDF Improves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 03:39:27 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

5 Firefox Add-ons For Better KDE Integration

,----[ Quote ]
| KDEâs default web browser is Konqueror, and
| many users love it for its speed,
| integration with KDE, and its host of
| features. Nevertheless, some sites do not
| perform as well as they do in Mozilla
| Firefox, and some users prefer the large
| number of available Firefox add-ons.
| Furthermore, users who move from Windows to
| Linux might prefer Firefox for its
| familiarity
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/5-firefox-add-ons-for-better-kde-integration/2010/01/25

KOffice and RDF: Say it with Style...

,----[ Quote ]
| This scattered series of posts has been
| about the RDF support I'm working on for
| KOffice. The ODF document format lets you
| store RDF/XML data inside the document
| file, which in turn lets both a human
| reader and a computer know about things
| that comprise an office document. You can
| refer to a person, place, or time and have
| the computer know what you are saying
| without having to resort to heuristics.
`----

http://monkeyiq.blogspot.com/2010/01/koffice-and-rdf-say-it-with-style.html

Recent:

KOffice - Portability in Action

,----[ Quote ]
| I have on several occasions been asked "why do
| you work on KOffice when OpenOffice.org
| already exists and does everything people
| need?". Well, there are several reasons why
| OpenOffice.org (OOo) is not the end-all of
| free office suites. This blog is the first in
| a series that will outline why KOffice is
| necessary and why it may in fact be the real
| future of the free office suites.
|
| [...]
|
| So, the combination of these two makes KOffice
| uniquely suited for non-standard platforms.
| Non-standard by desktop standards, that is.
| Most people today agree that mobile is the
| future. And maybe so is KOffice...
`----

http://ingwa2.blogspot.com/2010/01/koffice-portability-in-action.html

KOffice - We Have a Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of November, the KOffice developers
| met in Oslo for their semi-annual developer
| sprint. You have probably read some of the many
| blog entries from that meeting or read some of
| the news articles that Jos Poortvliet wrote on
| the dot.
|
| Many things were discussed during the meeting,
| and one of them is how we can make KOffice
| mature enough for real users. If you have
| followed KOffice development, you have probably
| noticed that in all our release announcements,
| the latest of them for KOffice 2.1, we always
| labeled KOffice as not yet ready for real
| production usage. This is now about to change.
`----

http://ingwa2.blogspot.com/2009/12/koffice-we-have-plan.html

KOffice 2.1 Ready for Testing, Karbon Ready for Use

,----[ Quote ]
| One aspect of KOffice 2.1 that is ready for prime
| time is the Karbon vector graphics program.
| According to Nuno Pinheiro, designer of the Oxygen
| KDE theme: "I have tested Karbon and it is
| definitely usable for real work even if [it] lacks
| a few advanced SVG features."
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/KOffice-2.1-Ready-for-Testing-Karbon-Ready-for-Use

KOffice 2.1 released, ups Microsoft Office compatibility

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to better Microsoft Office file format
| compatibility, support for the OpenDocument Format
| (ODF) has also been improved.
|
| KWord, the Word processor, now has a new
| implementation of tables and changes in the
| document can be tracked and are displayed.
| Insertions, deletions and formatting changes have
| different colours.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/327631/koffice_2_1_released_ups_microsoft_office_compatibility?rid=-219

Spatial Desktop: One Script, Ultimate Minimalist Desktop

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/spatial-desktop-ubuntu-gorgeous-gnome.html

KOffice 2.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The KOffice team is very happy to announce
| version 2.1.0 of KOffice, 6 months after
| the platform release 2.0.0. This release
| brings a number of new features as well as
| general improvements in the maturity of
| the individual applications. Importing of
| documents have also been given an
| overhaul.
`----

http://www.kdenews.org/2009/11/24/koffice-21-released

KDE Community Repositions Brand, Releases KOffice 2.1

,----[ Quote ]
| The leadership of the KDE community says
| it has decided to change the KDE brand's
| focus being an open-source Linux desktop
| to being an overall open-source community.
| Meanwhile, Version 2.1 of KOffice, the
| office suite for KDE, is released.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/KDE-Community-Repositions-Brand-Releases-KOffice-21-155803/

KOffice 2.1 Release Candidate 1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.koffice.org/news/koffice-2-1-release-candidate-1-released/