[News] Thoughts on Free/Open Source Advantages Through Cooperation

  • Subject: [News] Thoughts on Free/Open Source Advantages Through Cooperation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 04:11:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

January 22: No More End Users: OSS Enables New Ways of Cooperating, Carlo Daffara

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most fascinating thing about
| open source is that it allows the
| collaboration between entities that are in
| many ways anomalous. One of my favorite
| examples of this are the Sakai and Kuali
| consortia, created by large universities
| dissatisfied by their proprietary software
| systems. They found it more economical to
| pull their efforts together and create
| something new instead rather than simply
| continuing to pay for something that
| delivered less than expected. The process
| ended up creating something of value to
| themselves and to other universities and
| groups; it also provided the basis for a
| profitable business for those companies
| selling consulting services.
`----

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/article/view/1033/992

Open Source Exchanges: Can VARs Profit?

,----[ Quote ]
| When OpenBravo â an open source ERP company
| â launched an open source exchange earlier
| today, The VAR Guy had a case of deja vu.
| From Digium to Red Hat to xTuple, numerous
| open source companies have launched online
| marketplaces for their customers and VARs.
| But can open source exchanges really stir
| application sales? Here are some thoughts.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/01/25/open-source-exchanges-can-vars-profit/

JBoss and SpringSource

,----[ Quote ]
| Both are owned by corporate parents that
| have large market shares in their
| respective product categories: Linux
| servers for Red Hat, and corporate data
| center virtualization for VMWare,
| respectively, which allows the two
| subsidiaries of the parents to exert some
| sort of free-wheeling and experimentation
| with messaging, such as JBoss' new non-Java
| EE push through other languages, and
| SpringSource's anti-Java EE push through
| their own language, of sorts....but make no
| mistake about the competition, it boils
| down to a heavily intensive fight for the
| mindshare of Java developers worldwide,
| with the eventual victor controlling what
| is left of the corporate IT spend that does
| not go to Microsoft, IBM, and Oracle...this
| is major terrain for the once-small start-
| ups to undertake....
`----

http://www.javaworld.com/community/?q=node/3955

Recent:

Gnutiken - International GNU Cooperative Sweden

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/julipan/gnutiken/