[News] As Sun Gets Sold PostgreSQL Takes Advantage

  • Subject: [News] As Sun Gets Sold PostgreSQL Takes Advantage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 04:14:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Postgres Community Responds to EU Decision to Approve Oracle's Acquisition of MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| EnterpriseDB, the enterprise Postgres
| company, and PostgreSQL co-founder Bruce
| Momjian today issued the following
| statements regarding the EU committee's
| decision to approve Oracle's acquisition of
| Sun, which includes ownership of the MySQL
| open source database project.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/postgres-community-responds-to-eu-decision-to-approve-oracles-acquisition-of-mysql-82372882.html

Why PostgreSQL is a better enterprise database than MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| There are many more features that make PostgreSQL
| well-suited to the enterprise. Security is huge, but
| PostgreSQLâs support and focus on data integrity, granular
| access controls, ACID compliance, and other core focuses,
| really explain why PostgreSQL is so highly favoured amongst
| many database administrators.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1202

Sun and the Ten Ways

,----[ Quote ]
| If you see a company which "owns" an OSS
| project, you can be 95% certain that they
| are pursuing at least one of the Ten Ways,
| and most often several. One audience member
| claimed to be "ten for ten". Where
| companies are generally not screwing up,
| it's usually because they've hired a
| battle-tested community adivsor or manager
| to steer them away from the obvious
| mistakes.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/database-soup/sun-and-the-ten-ways-36517

Your Opinion Please: Did Oracle Make Concessions to the EU?

,----[ Quote ]
| Back when the EU started the investigation
| of the Oracle-Sun deal, I made a bet. The
| bet hinged on whether Oracle would make
| concessions to get the EUâs approval.
| Please review the arguments, pro and con,
| and help us settle the bet.
`----

http://scaledb.blogspot.com/2010/01/your-opinion-please-did-oracle-make.html

Sun CEO: Go Oracle, Beat IBM [Internal Memo]

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle (ORCL) said this morning that it has
| received unconditional regulatory approval
| from the European Commission for its
| acquisition of Sun (JAVA). Below, the all-
| hands memo Sun CEO Jon Schwartz sent to
| employees following the announcement.
`----

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100121/sun-ceo-go-oracle-internal-memo/