[News] New Stepping Stones Towards Defeating Intellectual Insanity

  • Subject: [News] New Stepping Stones Towards Defeating Intellectual Insanity
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 06:19:46 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Major Victory Against Neo-colonial Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Patents are bad enough, because they
| enclose knowledge. But when they steal that
| knowledge from the lore of traditional
| medicine, it's a double crime - adding a
| dash of neo-colonialism to the mix. So
| here's some good news on that front:
|
|     The Opposition Division of the European
|     Patent Office (EPO) has today revoked a
|     patent granted to Dr. Willmar Schwabe
|     (Schwabe) in its entirety. The patent
|     was opposed by the African Centre for
|     Biosafety (ACB) from South Africa
|     acting on behalf of a rural community
|     in Alice, in the Eastern Cape, in
|     collaboration with the Swiss anti-
|     biopiracy watchdog, the Berne
|     Declaration.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/01/major-victory-against-neo-colonial.html

Brazil's proposal at WIPO on patent limitations and exceptions (SCP/14/7)

,----[ Quote ]
| On January 15, 2010 the Permanent Mission
| of Brazil to the World Trade Organization
| and other economic organizations in Geneva
| submitted a proposal to the World
| Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
| The Brazilian note verbale to WIPO notes
| that the proposal:
|
|     "aims at contributing to the discussion
|     of exceptions and limitations to patent
|     rights. . . While not purporting to
|     cover all interfaces of the matter with
|     development concerns, it emphasizes the
|     importance of promoting a wide and
|     sustained debate on the issue in the
|     SCP".
`----

http://keionline.org/node/769

Recalibrating Intellectual Monopolies

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Public Domain is the rule, copyright
| protection is the exception": sounds like a
| good encapsulation to me - let's start
| spreading it.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/01/recalibrating-intellectual-monopolies.html

Brian Eno Explains How The Recording Industry Is Like Whale Blubber

,----[ Quote ]
| Then I go back to my computer, and see an
| anonymous submission of a wonderfully
| brilliant interview with music legend Brian
| Eno... and right there at the end, he has a
| beautiful description of what's happening
| to the recording industry -- comparing it
| to whale blubber:
|
|     "I think records were just a little
|     bubble through time and those who made
|     a living from them for a while were
|     lucky. There is no reason why anyone
|     should have made so much money from
|     selling records except that everything
|     was right for this period of time. I
|     always knew it would run out sooner or
|     later. It couldn't last, and now it's
|     running out. I don't particularly care
|     that it is and like the way things are
|     going. The record age was just a blip.
|     It was a bit like if you had a source
|     of whale blubber in the 1840s and it
|     could be used as fuel. Before gas came
|     along, if you traded in whale blubber,
|     you were the richest man on Earth. Then
|     gas came along and you'd be stuck with
|     your whale blubber. Sorry mate --
|     history's moving along. Recorded music
|     equals whale blubber. Eventually,
|     something else will replace it."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100120/2249557850.shtml

South Butt David versus North Face Goliath

,----[ Quote ]
| The North Face filed the lawsuit, claiming
| that The South Butt is confusingly similar
| to The North Face, in violation of North
| Face's trademark rights.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002426

Vancouver Olympics 'Brand Protection Guidelines' Almost Entirely Arbitrary

The Legacy of Baker Street

,----[ Quote ]
| The law gives an author and the authorâs
| descendants more than adequate control over
| creative work â a minimum of the authorâs
| life plus 70 years. The public is better
| served if copyrights have a reasonable
| limit. Sherlock Holmes should belong to us
| all right now.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/opinion/24sun4.html?th&emc=th

Recent:

RIAA in pickle over Jammie Thomas ruling

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10440602-261.html