[News] Red Hat Goes Back to Stressing "Free Software"

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Goes Back to Stressing "Free Software"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 06:20:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Free Software Way, by Richard Fontana, Esq.

,----[ Quote ]
| I thought I'd introduce you to the
| website's rich content by posting an
| article from the Law section. It's by
| Richard Fontana, who is Red Hat's Open
| Source Licensing and Patent Counsel, and I
| know him and trust him from being on the
| committee that he chaired in the revision
| of GPLv3. I can republish his article,
| because it's under a Creative Commons
| license, Attribution-Share Alike 3.0
| Unported, which means you are free to
| republish it and share it with others under
| those terms as well. I think you'll want
| to, because he explains very clearly the
| legal rights that are implied by free, not
| just open source, software, and its
| extension to other areas, and why open
| source, while necessary, is not enough.

covered here:

The Free Software Way

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been lots of âfauxpen sourceâ
| efforts to pretend they are Open Source by
| simply exposing source code. Iâm sure the
| Gentle Reader will be shocked that
| Microsoft leads the way in âinnovatingâ
| here: Shared Source, the MS-LPL and MS-LRL
| licenses, âcovenantsâ not to sue sub-sets
| of users and so forth.
|
|     To me, then, open source is not a
|     development methodology, let alone a
|     distillation of broadly-applicable
|     principles seen as underlying such a
|     methodology. Rather, open source is a
|     specific legal model of property rights
|     transfer. To put it differently, open
|     source is about freedom to use, modify,
|     and share creative material that could
|     otherwise be severely legally
|     restricted by the author. (Source code
|     availability is relevant because
|     otherwise the freedom of modification
|     would be practically impossible to
|     exercise.)
|
| This encapsulates so well the failure of
| the term âOpen Sourceâ: if open source is
| about freedom, then say it. Call it âFree
| Softwareâ. At least call it âFree and Open
| Sourceâ or âFLOSSâ or âFOSSâ or something
| that acknowledges that Freedom is what it
| is really all about.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/01/the-free-software-way/

Recent:

European Parliament To Restart The Workgroup On Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/32905