[News] Sun VirtualBox Still Under Heavy Development

  • Subject: [News] Sun VirtualBox Still Under Heavy Development
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:24:29 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

VirtualBox 3.1.4 Beta Brings 40+ Fixes

,----[ Quote ]
| VirtualBox 3.2 isn't yet around, but the Sun
| (well, Oracle) engineers are going to be
| releasing a 3.1.4 release shortly. To get
| some tests out there prior to the final
| release they have issued a beta of VirtualBox
| 3.1.4, which offers 40 fixes/additions.
| VirtualBox 3.1.4 is positioned to have SMP
| stability fixes, 3D support improvements,
| fixes for the Linux 2.6.32 kernel, video mode
| improvements for X.Org / XFree86, and various
| other changes.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzkzNA

3D Acceleration in VirtualBox Guests

,----[ Quote ]
| In any case, 3D applications were certainly
| usable, even if they didnât perform
| flawlessly, in my virtual machines.  This is
| a huge improvement over the past, when using
| Ubuntu meant saying goodbye to a range of
| Windows-only applications that require
| hardware acceleration.
|
| Ideally, the day will come when I can run
| every application I want natively on Ubuntu.
| But until then, user-friendly and feature-
| rich virtualization platforms like VirtualBox
| will remain a vitally important component of
| the Linux world.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/01/28/3d-acceleration-in-virtualbox-guests/

Recent:

Announcement: VirtualBox 3.1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Sun released VirtualBox 3.1, a major
| update introducing the following major new
| features:
|
|  * Teleportation (aka live migration);
|  migrate a live VM session from one host to
|  another
|
|   [...]
`----

http://vbox.innotek.de/pipermail/vbox-announce/2009-November/000031.html

VirtualBox 3.1.0 arrives, adds teleportation support

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/VirtualBox-3-1-0-arrives-adds-teleportation-support-872873.html