[News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle

  • Subject: [News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:45:57 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

RIAA rejects reduced fine for 'piracy'

,----[ Quote ]
| THE BIG MUSIC recording companies have
| rejected a judge's ruling that a central
| Minnesota woman found guilty of sharing 24
| songs over the Internet should be ordered
| to pay 'only' $54,000.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1589141/riaa-rejects-reduced-fine-piracy

Jammie Thomas Rejects Offer From RIAA To Settle For $25k Plus
Request For Judge To Vacate Last Week's Decision

,----[ Quote ]
| The RIAA would just like the case to be
| over, but doesn't want to set the
| precedent, so they ask Thomass-Rasset to
| pay less, but the "trade" is to get the
| decision deleted. Thomas-Rasset quickly
| rejected the offer, and now it seems
| likely that the RIAA will reject the
| reduced amount and everyone will go back
| to trial over just the damage amount.

Corporate Copyright Scofflaws 0002

,----[ Quote ]
| The largest copyright pirates are the
| large corporations, particularly in the
| content distribution business. Yes, those
| companies who scream the loudest that
| their customers are âpiratingâ movies,
| songs, books, etc. In this series, we are
| going to look at cases where these
| companies have engaged in large scare
| copyright infringement.
`----

http://madhatter.ca/?p=204

Tintin Fans Attacked By Tintin Lawyer

,----[ Quote ]
| Rodwellâs latest target is Bob Garcia, âa
| detective novelist, jazz musician and
| Tintin aficionado,â who has been ordered
| by British courts to hand over Â35,000 or
| face the possibility of having his house
| and belongings seized. His crime: writing
| five essays about the character.
`----

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/bad-ideas/tintin-fans-attacked-by-tintin-lawyer.html

Recent:

RIAA lied to the US Congress

,----[ Quote ]
| In April the RIAA told US lawmakers that it was not going to chase individual
| file-sharers any more and was going to stop dragging grannies, homeless
| people and kids into court using dodgy evidence obtained by methods that
| seemed to break some state laws.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137039/riaa-lied-us-congress

RIAA: "we have no choice" but to file more named lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| The RIAA said it would file no more "new" lawsuits against individual
| file-swappers, but it filed more such lawsuits in April. How to explain the
| apparent contradiction? By defining "new" in a particular way.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/riaa-we-have-no-choice-but-to-file-more-named-lawsuits.ars

The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the RIAA's latest targets in its campaign to sue its customer base into
| submission is a 19-year-old cancer patient. Ciaro Sauro was ruled a music
| pirate after failing to defend herself in court against charges from the RIAA
| that she was sharing music files online. Ms. Sauro has said she couldn't
| defend herself as she is hospitalized once a week, and vehemently denies the
| allegations that she is a pirate.
`----

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/entertainment/2009/3/26/the_riaa_vs_19_year_old.htm

RIAA Sued For Racketeering Yet Again