[News] Oracle Carries on with GNU/Linux Despite Buying Solaris

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Carries on with GNU/Linux Despite Buying Solaris
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 02:39:01 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What's the Future of Linux and Solaris at Oracle?

,----[ Quote ]
| Several of the concerns about Oracle's
| acquisition of Sun have revolved around how
| Unix technologies led by Sun would continue
| under the new ownership. As it turns out,
| Solaris users might not have much to worry
| about, as Oracle executives on Wednesday
| affirmed their commitment to preserving the
| efforts.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3861376/Whats-the-Future-of-Linux-and-Solaris-at-Oracle.htm

Oracle tag teams Solaris and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want to know what Oracle's roadmap
| is for Linux, just watch what Red Hat does.
| Oracle Enterprise Linux is just a clone of
| RHEL. Getting a sense of what Oracle really
| has planned for Solaris - aside from
| deploying it in SMP systems and clusters -
| is going to take some time. Oracle's plans
| for virtualization and system management
| are more clear.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/28/oracle_sun_os_virt_tools/

Sun-Oracle strategy update event: my perception

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux was referenced a lot. Larry is a
| Linux fan, and so are his colleagues --
| there's no doubt. ZFS was referenced a lot
| as one of the most powerful filesystems (it
| can do snapshots), I really hope that Linux
| fans will be able to truly enjoy ZFS on
| Linux kernel level because as of now it
| works so slowly via Fuse (Filesystem in
| Userspace).
`----

http://www.javaworld.com/community/?q=node/3978

Recent:

EU Commission Approves Oracle-Sun Deal With No Conditions

,----[ Quote ]