[News] A Look at Linux Mint 8 (Helena) KDE (RC)

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Linux Mint 8 (Helena) KDE (RC)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 02:44:10 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux Mint 8 (Helena) KDE Community Edition Release Candidate

,----[ Quote ]
| I have previously described Linux Mint as
| "Ubuntu plus all the stuff you would probably
| add to it yourself after installing". Of
| course, you need to be aware that a lot of the
| things which are added are proprietary or
| otherwise non-FOSS, so if you are a
| GNU/Linux/FOSS purist, you should be aware of
| that at the beginning. I am not of that
| persuasion, and Mint is one of my two favorite
| distributions (SimplyMEPIS is the other). Now,
| with the quality of Mint and the care that the
| Mint Community contributors have taken in
| adding KDE 4.3, this is sure to be an
| excellent distribution. If you are a KDE
| devotee, and you have been disappointed by
| Kubuntu (I know that a lot have), I would
| strongly encourage you to take a look at this
| distribution.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014924o-2000498448b,00.htm

Recent:

Linux Mint 8 RC1 KDE Edition Arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| Clement Lefebvre and the Linux Mint community
| are proud to present today (January 21st) the
| first release candidate of the upcoming Linux
| Mint 8 KDE Community Edition operating system.
| Powered by Linux kernel 2.6.31 and built on
| top of the KDE Software Compilation 4.3.4,
| Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 comes with many
| improvements in various areas of interest. It
| is now based on the Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic
| Koala) Linux distribution.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Mint-8-RC1-KDE-Edition-Arrives-132766.shtml

Linux Mint 8 KDE CE Release Candiate Leaked

,----[ Quote ]
| Just a quick note to inform you all that the
| day has finally come. Really! The Linux Mint 8
| KDE Release Candidate was recently leaked and
| can, as of this writing, be downloaded either
| directly or via a torrent. If you download the
| torrent, please seed to at least 1.5x (150%).
| We will, of course, have a full review upon
| the return from CampKDE.
`----

http://thebluemint.blogspot.com/2010/01/linux-mint-8-ce-release-candiate-leaked.html

Review: Linux Mint 7 KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I like Mint 7 KDE.  The use of KDE 4.2 is
| good, but it leaves you wanting a bit more.  And
| that's in no way the fault of Mint.  It's just the
| fact that KDE4 is still maturing.  But as for the
| things that are controllable by Mint, everything
| is in great shape with no noticeable flaws that I
| could find.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_linux_mint_7_kde/

Linux distro mints "Gloria" KDE release

,----[ Quote ]
| For those interested in a non-Linuxer point of view, Bruno Dieter Chan offers
| his thoughts in a July 28 review on TopTechNews, and they are, well,
| luke-warm. After praising the distro for playing all his multimedia files,
| for offering a good web-browsing experience, and for providing reasonably
| fast 30-second boots, the complaints kick in.
|
| The reviewer was disappointed in the lack of QuickTime support, as well as
| some movie "shudder" effects when he tried to use "restricted drivers for my
| ATI 4850 graphics card." He also groused over having to download a driver for
| his Creative X-Fi card, and then noted that it output audio through the
| motherboard instead of the X-Fi's jack. Also, apparently, Mint 7 didn't
| support plug-and-play with his Canon A400 or fully support his Sansa player.
|
| "Overall, Mint 7 offers most of the software that an average user needs,"
| concludes Chan. "Though I have issues with the OS, it still can be used as
| a 'light' desktop OS. But if you're going to do more than just Web browsing,
| then it would be better to stick with Mac OS or Windows."

Linux Mint 7 KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, Linux Mint is a fusion between the usability and tools of Linux
| Mint with the elegance of the KDE desktop. Iâm not a great fan of KDE, but
| the Linux Mint tools certainly help to put this distro above the rest.
`----

http://blog.jjtcomputing.co.uk/2009/08/07/linux-mint-7-kde/

Linux Mint 7 (KDE)

,----[ Quote ]
| Suitable For:         Beginner, intermediate or advanced Linux users. Highly
| recommended for beginners.
| KDE
| users.
| Rating:       4/5
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/08/06/linux-mint-7-kde/

Distro Hoppin`: Linux Mint 7 KDE Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint 7 KDE is a worthy addition to the Linux Mint family and is much,
| much better than the previous KDE release. I still prefer the main GNOME
| version over it, but there's definitely an ascending path going on. Oh, and
| with the 4.3.0 version of KDE just released, I can't wait until Linux Mint 8!
`----

http://www.itlure.com/2009/08/distro-hoppin-linux-mint-7-kde-edition.html

Linux Mint 7 âGloriaâ KDE released!

,----[ Quote ]