[News] FFII, Geist Report on ACTA Conspiracy

Blogging ACTA Across The Globe: FFII's Ante Wessels on Exporting Europe's Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Every major country in the ACTA
| negotiations claims that its own laws will
| remain unchanged by the treaty. But without
| changing a word of domestic law, ACTA can
| still be dangerous to a country's â or a
| continent's â economy. This week at
| Deeplinks, we've asked guest bloggers from
| around the world to give their perspective
| on the trade agreement. Today, giving the
| view from the heart of the European Union,
| is Ante Wessels, analyst for the Foundation
| for a Free Information Infrastructure, a
| group best known for their work in Europe's
| debate over software patents.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/01/blogging-acta-across-globe-ffiis-ante-wessels-expo

ACTA Guide, Part Five: Speaking Out

,----[ Quote ]
| The 7th round of ACTA negotiations will
| conclude around lunch time today in Mexico.
| If past meetings are any indication, a few
| hours later the participating countries
| will issue a bland statement thanking the
| host Mexican government, discussing the
| progress on civil enforcement, border
| measures, and the Internet as well as
| noting the transparency discussions and the
| continued desire to address the issue.  The
| release will then conclude by looking
| forward to the next meeting in Wellington,
| New Zealand in April.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4742/125/

Recent:

ACTA Attacks Internet! Let's Attack ACTA!

,----[ Quote ]
| Negotiations on the Anti-Counterfeiting
| Trade Agreement (ACTA)1 will take place
| from January 26th to January 29th in
| Mexico. ACTA aims at controlling the
| Internet, while conveniently circumventing
| democratic processes. Unelected negotiators
| - carrying out the orders of the
| entertainment industries - are attacking
| the very essence of the Internet. Let's
| attack ACTA! Let's expose its negotiators
| to make them face their responsibilities!
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/acta-attacks-internet-lets-attack-acta

ACTA and three strikes

,----[ Quote ]
| Luc Devigne for instance advocates for the
| French âthree strikesâ rule concerning
| ISPs. Such measures are not yet part of the
| acquis communautaire, in fact in the course
| of the Telecom package such measures were
| generally rejected, though the European
| Parliament could not overrule the French
| national decision to implement such
| measures (âHadopiâ). Sarkozyâs Hadopi rules
| are in troublesome constitutional waters,
| we will see.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/acta-and-three-strikes/

Early Day Motion Calling for ACTA Transparency

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday I was asking you to write to your
| MPs about the Digital Economy Bill. If you
| haven't already done that, perhaps you
| could tack on a request for them to support
| this Early Day Motion...
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2757

ACTA Guide, Part Three: Transparency and ACTA Secrecy

,----[ Quote ]
| Part Three of the ACTA Guide (Part One on
| the agreement itself, Part Two on the
| official and leaked documents) focuses on
| the issue that has dogged the proposed
| agreement since it was first announced -
| the lack of transparency associated with
| the text and the talks.  As yesterday's
| public letter from NDP MP Charlie Angus and
| the UK cross-party motion highlight,
| elected officials around the world have
| latched onto the transparency issue and
| demanded that their governments open ACTA
| to public scrutiny.  Reviewing the ACTA
| transparency issue involves several
| elements: the public concern with ACTA
| secrecy, the source of the secrecy, and the
| analysis of whether ACTA secrecy is common
| when compared to other intellectual
| property agreements.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4737/125/

PROPOSED INTERNATIONAL ANTI-COUNTERFEITING TRADE AGREEMENT

,----[ Quote ]
| That this House is deeply concerned by the
| secrecy surrounding international
| negotiations on the Anti-Counterfeiting
| Trade Agreement (ACTA); notes that any
| agreement reached could affect the measures
| to protect copyright online currently being
| debated in the Digital Economy Bill;
| believes that if the companies affected by
| the agreement are party to the discussions
| and able to influence decisions,
| parliamentarians who represent the public
| and are responsible for legislation in
| these areas should also be kept up-to-date
| with developments and be able to contribute
| to the debate; seeks assurances from the
| Department for Business, Innovation and
| Skills that the provisions of the Digital
| Economy Bill will not be superseded by
| ACTA; and urges the Government to work to
| achieve release of details of the
| negotiations to hon. Members as soon as
| possible.
`----

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=40290&SESSION=903

CTA: The new era of transparency

,----[ Quote ]
| How is that possible? It cannot be found out
| because the mandate is not made public. Magic,
| it reminds me of the charlatans who say they
| live without food and water supply, and it is
| their personal secret what makes them survive.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/24/acta-the-new-era-of-transparency/

Activist ejected from "public" meeting on secret copyright treaty for tweeting

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest round of negotiations over the Anti
| Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA -- a
| secret treaty that contains provisions
| requiring nations to wiretap the Internet,
| force ISPs to spy on users, search laptops at
| the border, and disconnect whole households
| from the net on the basis of mere accusation
| of copyright infringement) is just kicking off
| in Mexico, and activists from around Mexico
| and the world have converged on the meeting to
| demand transparent, public negotiations of
| this critical treaty.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/22/activist-ejected-fro.html

'Public' Consultation Over ACTA In Mexico Almost Required NDAs, Blogger Removed For Tweeting

,----[ Quote ]
| The room, then, was mostly industry people,
| who were apparently concerned as to why
| everyday citizens were in attendance, and they
| even booed a lawyer who questioned the human
| rights angle. As for Geraldine, she tried
| twittering the event, and the industry folks
| demanded she leave (and had a guard escort her
| out). It's almost like they're trying to make
| themselves into a caricature of businesses
| plotting to harm the public.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100122/1026457875.shtml

Obama Names Craig Mundie to Sci-Tech Advisory Council

http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/04/27/obama-names-craig-mundie-to-sci-tech-advisory-council.aspx

Joe Biden promises a blank check to the entertainment cartel

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/22/joe-biden-promises-a.html