[News] How GNU/Linux Boxes and Super Server Are Built

  • Subject: [News] How GNU/Linux Boxes and Super Server Are Built
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 05:28:27 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Advice on building a Linux box

,----[ Quote ]
| I get a lot of questions on Linux hardware:
| âWhatâs the best piece of hardware X for
| Linux?â âShould I go route A since Iâm using
| Linux?â Of course not everyone builds their
| own computer. But there are a fair number of
| us out there that would rather keep as much
| control over the selection of their machines
| components as they can. And there is
| something to be said about hand-picking your
| components. But which video card? Which sound
| card? Which networking card? Processor?
| Motherboard? Will it all work with Linux? You
| know it will work with Windowsâbut with Linux
| there can be some gray area.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/01/30/advice-on-building-a-linux-box/

Virtualized Supercomputer Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| New work on the Sandia National Laboratories
| Red Storm supercomputer â the 17th fastest in
| the world â is helping to make supercomputers
| more accessible. Sandia researchers, working
| hand in hand with researchers from
| Northwestern University and the University of
| New Mexico, socialized 4,096 of Red Storm's
| total 12,960 computer nodes into accepting a
| virtual external operating system â a leap of
| at least two orders of magnitude over
| previous such efforts.
`----

http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/222600487?cid=RSSfeed_DDJ_OpenSource

Recent:

Building Dream Machines, Studio PC and Media Server

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux has a number of great media servers,
| and this will be new territory for me
| because I haven't paid much attention to
| the small, quiet form-factor boxes people
| like to use for these. XMBC, GeexBox, and
| Elisa all look interesting. I have dreams
| of stuffing a big hard drive full of music
| in nice high-quality FLAC format, and
| movies galore at my fingertips.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-12-05-006-35-OS-HW-SW

Build it Yourself Linux Super-Workstation Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6846/1/