[News] GNU/Linux-only Applications and Other Examples of Software Advantage

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux-only Applications and Other Examples of Software Advantage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 06:26:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

- From (Y)AWN to Cairo!

,----[ Quote ]
| I have been a happy Compiz user in my Mint
| desktop. Sure it uses some resources, but
| as is true for many, my computer can
| handle this with little performance hit.
|
| About 1 1/2 years ago, I began
| experimenting with another small use of
| resources, the various docks available to
| Linux which utilize Compiz's 3D offerings.
| I saw this as one more way to add a "wow"
| factor to show off Linux to others.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/42854

GNOME-Vlc brings GTK interface, Simplicity to VLC

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnome-Vlc is a new project designed to
| provide a simple GTK frontend to the
| popular Vlc player.
|
| Still in its infancy, the project was
| borne "...out of frustration with other
| players that failed to tick all the
| boxes."
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/vlc-player-linux-ubuntu-gtk.html

XRANDR Comes to the Rescue

,----[ Quote ]
| What could be more frustrating than trying
| to install Ubuntu or Mint on a new CPU,
| motherboard, with a built-in graphics card
| and your display goes south. Hereâs the
| scenario, after the initial flash screens,
| the screen goes blank. It seems that Xorg
| is using a screen resolution your monitor
| does not support.
`----

http://ulyssesonline.com/2010/01/30/xrandr-comes-to-the-rescue/

Lomo Script for Gimp with Old Style Colors

,----[ Quote ]
| Lomo-Gimp is a Photoshop quality script
| that tries to give your digital pictures
| the warmth of those taken by an old
| rangefinder analog camera. Think of it as
| a Kodak Instamatic or a Lomo Holga faking
| effect. It enhances contrast and
| saturation, and applies a light and a dark
| overlay, trying to emulate incorrectness
| in exposition. Please note this does
| nothing âstill it does!â to emulate the
| chromatic aberration peculiar in pictures
| taken using a real Lomo.
`----

http://ubuntulandforever.blogspot.com/2010/01/lomo-script-for-gimp-with-old-style.html

Elementary Empathy Theme

,----[ Quote ]
| An awesome elementary theme for Empathy,
| oddly submitted for potential inclusion in
| Lucid.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/elementary-empathy-theme.html

Review of Xiphos Bible Study Software

,----[ Quote ]
| I have used Logos Bible software, e-Sword,
| as well as other Bible study software in
| the past. Logos especially is a very good
| program. The only problem is that on an
| assistant pastorâs budget, it costs a
| large sum of money. I have to constantly
| be aware that I need to be a good steward.
|
| Xiphos, on the other hand is open-source
| software. Simply, that means I am allowed
| to go into the program code myself and
| modify it to behave how i wish it too and
| use it in the manner I wish. I am legally
| allowed to share the software, and even
| encouraged to do so! And for the my bottom
| line â it is free. Free as in freedom and
| price.
`----

http://gabrielforster.com/2010/01/review-of-xiphos-bible-study-software/

KiCad

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.553.2

Inkscape Class Day 5

,----[ Quote ]
| As always, the OpenOffice.org source files
| and the outlines for the entire course are
| at the course page on my website â but
| please note thatâs a rough outline; as we
| progress through the class Iâm coming up
| with the more-solid lesson plans based on
| how far the students get each session. By
| the end of the course I hope to have the
| course page organized much better.
`----

http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/inkscape-class-day-5/

Video editing in Linux: a look at PiTiVi and Kdenlive

,----[ Quote ]
| Video editing on Linux has long gotten a
| bad rap. A few years ago, the only real
| options for video editing were either
| deeply limited in features and polish, or
| incredibly complex to set up and use.
|
| While Linux still lacks a direct
| competitor to tools like Apple's iMovie or
| Final Cut Pro, the current crop of video
| editing tools are much more capable and
| easy to use. Two tools in particular stand
| out: PiTiVi and Kdenlive. Both suites are
| under active development and look
| promising. In this article, we'll take a
| look at what both of these tools can and
| can't do.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/guides/2010/01/video-editing-in-linux-a-look-at-pitivi-and-kdenlive.ars

7 of the Best Free Linux Calculators

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the basic utilities supplied with
| any operating system is a desktop
| calculator. These are often simple
| utilities that are perfectly adequate for
| basic use. They typically include
| trigonometric functions, logarithms,
| factorials, parentheses and a memory
| function.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20100129194223103/Calculators.html

The Best Google Chrome Extensions

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Chrome finally has an answer to
| Firefox's add-ons; we recommend eleven of
| our favorite Google Chrome extensions.

10 old-school Linux tools I refuse to let go of

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1316z