[News] OLPC Sub-notebooks Run GNU/Linux in Afghanistan

  • Subject: [News] OLPC Sub-notebooks Run GNU/Linux in Afghanistan
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:05:41 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Freifunk in Afghanistan deployed in five cities

,----[ Quote ]
| I had the chance to work for a couple of
| months with my friend Mike Dawson last year
| in Afghanistan. He is the core person behind
| the OLPC project in Afghanistan and pushes
| for Free and Open Technologies in
| Afghanistan. Solutions like LXDE with it
| focus on a lightweight and energy saving
| desktop or decentralised low powered networks
| like Freifunk offer new opportunities to give
| people access even in remote areas.
`----

http://blog.freifunk.net/2010/freifunk-afghanistan-deployed-five-cities

10 things Netbooks still do better than an iPad

,----[ Quote ]
| In the world of Apple, being a Netbook is a
| bad, bad thing. During Apple's keynote for
| the newly announced iPad, the Netbook was
| called out by Steve Jobs, who said "they're
| not better at laptops than anything, they're
| just cheaper." The affordable, tiny, and yes,
| often bare-bones Atom processor-running
| device we've come to know and love, or hate,
| as the Netbook is often clunky and frequently
| disappointing, true enough.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10443246-1.html?tag=digg

Related:

Oracle & Linux Training for Afghanistan National Data Center

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.mcit.gov.af/detail.asp?CatID=2&ContID=152