[News] How Free Software Advances Personal Freedom

  • Subject: [News] How Free Software Advances Personal Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:06:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Adam Gifford: Open source route frees the mind

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing holding back the greater
| adoption of free software in this country
| is free software.
|
| Schools could use Linux and other open
| source technologies, but the Education
| Ministry very kindly negotiates on their
| behalf with Microsoft for a licence
| covering all New Zealand state and
| integrated schools.
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10623790

Open Societies need open systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Openness, like democracy, must be
| constantly defended, says Bill Thompson.

Free Software as Part of the Anarchist Toolkit

,----[ Quote ]
| The free software movement has unwittingly
| presented the peoples of the world with an
| important tool to avail of, on the
| frontlines of democracy. Many of those
| previously and currently engaged in the
| free software movement are unlikely to be
| fully aware of the consequences and
| benefits of their work and may still be
| living in the fantasy belief world of neo-
| liberalism, free markets, trickle down
| economics, endless growth, domination and
| mindless consumerism. This is simply
| because many of the participants just do
| it ( -i.e. write code) and are not in any
| formal way a member of anything in
| particular, or politically motivated.
| Undoubtedly global capitalism has also fed
| off the free software movement and gained
| its own benefits, but on balance it would
| seem it has been positive to ordinary
| people too.
`----

http://www.binaryfreedom.info/node/344

Rethinking Open Data

,----[ Quote ]
| In the last year I've been involved in two
| open data projects, Open New Zealand and
| data.govt.nz. I believe in learning from
| experience and I've seen some signs
| recently that other projects might benefit
| from my experience, so this post is a
| recap of what I've learned. It's the
| byproduct of a summer reflection on my
| last nine months working in open data.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2010/02/rethinking-open-data.html

Recent:

The real stake in 'free flow of information'

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opinion.globaltimes.cn/editorial/2010-01/500324.html