[News] More Government Moves to Free Software: DOD, Kenya, Italy

  • Subject: [News] More Government Moves to Free Software: DOD, Kenya, Italy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:48:53 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

DISA's cloud helps DOD embrace open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| ProjectForge is a pay-on-demand software
| service that allows software developers to
| manage software iterations, track issues
| and requirements, and collaborate with
| other developers. It is an offshoot of a
| similar service named SoftwareForge. While
| SoftwareForge is designed to work with
| open-source software, ProjectForge is for
| applications where proprietary products are
| involved or greater access controls are
| necessary.
`----

http://gcn.com/articles/2010/02/01/editors-note-on-disas-project-forge.aspx

Nigerian Ushahidi for 2011

,----[ Quote ]
| Ushahidi is an open source project, which
| allows users to send information about
| crisis via sms, e-mail or the web.
|
| [...]
|
| Ushahidi was originally developed in Kenya
| when electoral violence erupted following
| the presidential elections between Mwai
| Kibaki and Raila Odinga.
`----

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5520540-182/nigerian_ushahidi_for_2011__.csp

Disappointed (so far) by Italian Open Legislation experiment

,----[ Quote ]
| If you know software programming well
| enough to write a new word processor with a
| secret file format, do it now, put it on
| sale and price it one million Euro per
| seat. Should that law be approved as it was
| presented in late January 2010, you'll just
| have to send Christmas greetings to all
| Italian Public Administrations to force
| them to buy your software, since they will
| be required by law to "accept and process"
| the files they receive, in whatever format.
| With any luck, you won't make as much money
| as Bill Gates: you'll make enough to
| directly buy him.
`----

http://stop.zona-m.net/node/89

Recent:

MOTSU awards deal for Linux migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Tideworks Technology has been selected to
| provide the U.S. Defense Department's Military
| Ocean Terminal Sunny Point with a terminal
| upgrade.
|
| U.S. company Tideworks was awarded a contract
| from North Carolina-based Military Ocean
| Terminal Sunny Point, or MOTSU. The award
| follows a successful 2006 contract for a
| customized information technology solution.
`----

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2009/12/16/MOTSU-awards-deal-for-Linux-migration/UPI-54921260996400/

Recent:The Blue Screen of Megadeath?

,----[ Quote ]
| Around this time last year, we reported on the U.S. Army's
| efforts to build a state-of-the-art â state-of-the-future,
| really â system to control everything from communication to
| unmanned drones to missile launches, and to use Linux to do
| it. The project's designers were quoted as specifically
| saying they rejected Windows because they didn't want to be
| beholden to Microsoft â apparently the thought of having
| missiles bricked by Windows Genuine Advantage mid-combat
| didn't go over so well. Being
|
| [...]
|
| We can't speak for anyone else, but the thought that
| somewhere floating out there are two hundred nuclear
| warheads under the control of Windows XP scares the living
| daylights out of us. If anyone needs us, we'll be building
| a bunker in the back yard before one of the boom-boom boats
| throws a blue screen of death and blows us all to kingdom
| come.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/blue-screen-megadeath

âBattle Commandâ Summits

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=3329623&C=america

Convincing the Military to Embrace Open Source

The Complex Crux Of Wireless Warfare

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/23/AR2008012303695.html

Related:

Conference Highlights Open Technology Adoption within Defense and
Intelligence Systems

http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/index.php?duty=Show&id=17056&trv=1

Army Seeks to Catalyze Open Source Intelligence

http://www.fas.org/blog/secrecy/2007/01/army_seeks_to_catalyze_open_so.html

A Network Appliance Platform for Linux Applications at the US
Department of Defense

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/012207-dod-linux.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

High-integrity software is key topic at 2007 Military Technologies
Conference

http://mae.pennnet.com/display_article/285223/32/NEWS/none/none/High-integrity-software-is-key-topic-at-2007-Military-Technologies-Conference/

Department of Defense Releases Open Technology Development Roadmap

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/07/233257&from=rss