[News] Tablets Running GNU/Linux on the Rise

Free software alternative to Apple's tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the fierce competition in the market
| of the tablets where all the big companies
| in the sector: Apple, Google and Microsoft
| have an alternative in the market or in
| development, a Spanish company presents
| after Apple a cheapest option, based on free
| software.
`----

http://www.ifreetablet.com/indexEN.php

Google Chrome OS Tablet Demo Video Like a Bolt From The Blue

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Apple iPad buzz going around, there
| can't be a better time to demonstrate the
| 'tablet' implications of Google Chrome OS.
| Google has not yet released this netbook
| centric OS yet, but they are constantly in
| the news with updates of their Chrome OS.
| You may also want to watch this awesome
| first glimpse video on Chrome OS UI.
`----

http://techdrivein.blogspot.com/2010/02/google-chrome-os-tablet-demo-video-like.html

Will FOSS Jump Into the iPad Fray?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux accounted for roughly a third of the
| 35 million or so netbooks to ship globally
| last year, according to Jeff Orr, an analyst
| at ABI Research, and predictions looking
| ahead are generally rosy as well.
|
| On smartphones, meanwhile, Android had
| snatched up 27 percent of the North American
| market by the end of last year, according to
| AdMob's December Mobile Metrics report --
| and that's surely increasing daily following
| the launch of Google's (Nasdaq: GOOG) Nexus
| One.

Sick of the iPad? Google Chrome OS tablet idea revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Did you know that Google's Chome OS is
| taking the form of a Tablet?
`----

http://features.techworld.com/operating-systems/3211719/sick-of-the-ipad-google-chrome-os-tablet-idea-revealed/?olo=rss

Apple, Google and the open alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| True, the concerns and issues around
| Androidâs openness, or lack thereof, have
| significant implications. This is further
| illustration of how Google may be the open
| alternative juxtaposed against Apple, but by
| adding its own strings and closures, Google
| is also leaving the door open for another,
| more open alternative. Perhaps Palm and its
| WebOS are an example, but again, it seems no
| matter what a company or consortium does,
| they still leave opportunity for a
| relatively more open alternative.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/02/03/apple-google-and-the-open-alternative/

Recent:

MSI ready to launch iPad alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPad runs iPhone OS while the MSI runs
| Android.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/94697/msi-ready-launch-ipad-alternative

Chrome OS Concept Tablet Breaks Cover With Demo

,----[ Quote ]
| With all of this iPad buzz stirring up the
| tech world over the past couple of weeks,
| Chrome OS has almost been forgotten. That
| may have something to do with the fact that
| Google has yet to officially release the
| netbook-centric operating system to the
| public, but still, you'd expect a company
| like Google to keep the details flowing
| about a forthcoming operating system.
| Today it seems we're getting exactly what
| you'd expect, in response to all the recent
| tablet fanfare.
`----

http://hothardware.com/News/Chrome-OS-Concept-Tablet-Might-Just-Make-The-iPad-Look-Bad/

Google's Chrome OS Will Be for Tablets, Too

,----[ Quote ]
| When Google announced its Chrome OS last
| year, it intended this operating system to
| be for netbooks. Last week's unveiling of
| the Apple iPad has made tablet computers
| hot, though, and Google is making sure its
| upcoming OS will have this class of devices
| covered, too.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16174&news=Google+Chrome+OS+Tablet+Apple+iPad

Google's tablet offerings will be very different from the iPad, expert says

,----[ Quote ]
| While Apple's iPad attempts to fill the gap
| between laptops and cell phones with the
| perfect hardware, Google will rely instead
| on a creative framework with its Chrome OS,
| according to CNET's Stephen Shankland.
`----

http://www.drivershq.com/News/OEM/Google-s-tablet-offerings-will-be-very-different-from-the-iPad-expert-says/104/458.aspx

Google Chrome OS tablet concept revealed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/7135776/Google-Chrome-OS-tablet-concept-revealed.html

Google shows off Chrome OS tablet ideas

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000034-264.html

Google Pad: Search Giant Dreams of Chrome OS-based Tablets

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188342/google_pad_search_giant_dreams_of_chrome_osbased_tablets.html

Eight ways Android and Linux tablets can beat Apple's iPad

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Apple-iPad-analysis/?kc=rss