Re: MS now 3rd place of all linux providers

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 05 Feb 2010 16:57 : \____

>> ____/ Terry Porter on Friday 05 Feb 2010 11:38 : \____

>>> Nice to see Microsoft has finally found a growth area after all these
>>> years of negative Windows growth.
>>
>> This market too will fail for them. No patent deal for over 2 years
>> (TurboLinux) and these patent coupons run out.
>
> It's a disaster, look at this, after 2 years of running the "licence"
> programme:
>
> "A total of 475 customers have used an unspecified number of coupons,
> according to Microsoft. "
>

> I think that there are 475 very red faces out there, but it gets worse,
> this from Novell's own page:
>
> "Customers who have already taken advantage of this opportunity to
> seamlessly run both Windows Server and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
> include Wal-Mart Stores Inc., HSBC Holdings, Renault, Southwest Airlines
> Co., BMW and many other leading companies around the world."
>
> So, of those 475, only 5 of them are global blue-chips.  So, we have 470
> also-rans, and 5 blue chips.  oops.
>
> http://www.novell.com/news/press/microsoft-and-novell-expand-successful-interoperability-
relationship/

I have watched this most closely and Novell has not had a major SUSE customer
for over a year, I think. There was one mid-sized I can remember, but all in all, the deals
with the likes of Wal-Mart (Microsoft executive connections) ended around 2007.

Novell got duped, but it had debt and it desperately needed money. There is
currently a management exodus at Novell.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

I hope that's not UI -- but the proper term is a "Jet database", accessed
through the "Jet engine". A fitting name, considering that it sucks and
blows. -- Felix about Exchange's mailbox format
 01:05:01 up 80 days, 22:36,  2 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.23, 0.53