Re: MS now 3rd place of all linux providers

____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 07 Feb 2010 09:41 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 05 Feb 2010 16:57 : \____
>>

>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> It's a disaster, look at this, after 2 years of running the "licence"
>>> programme:
>>>
>>> "A total of 475 customers have used an unspecified number of coupons,
>>> according to Microsoft. "
>>>

>>> I think that there are 475 very red faces out there, but it gets worse,
>>> this from Novell's own page:
>>>
>>> "Customers who have already taken advantage of this opportunity to
>>> seamlessly run both Windows Server and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
>>> include Wal-Mart Stores Inc., HSBC Holdings, Renault, Southwest Airlines
>>> Co., BMW and many other leading companies around the world."
>>>
>>> So, of those 475, only 5 of them are global blue-chips.  So, we have 470
>>> also-rans, and 5 blue chips.  oops.
>>>
>>> http://www.novell.com/news/press/microsoft-and-novell-expand-successful-interoperability-
>> relationship/
>>
>> I have watched this most closely and Novell has not had a major SUSE customer
>> for over a year, I think. There was one mid-sized I can remember, but all in
>> all, the deals with the likes of Wal-Mart (Microsoft executive connections)
>> ended around 2007.
>>
>> Novell got duped, but it had debt and it desperately needed money. There is
>> currently a management exodus at Novell.
>>

> Novell made an enormous mistake here, oddly, they were incredibly placed
> to build a solid, long-term sustainable linux-based business, and they
> gave that opportunity up for a few quid now.

Novell's CEO did this audio interview some days ago:

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/2010/02/cbr-podcast-novell-ceo-on-his-bold-new-strategy.html

He still doesn't regret the deal.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st