[News] USB: Better in Linux Than in Windows, Suggests Experience

  • Subject: [News] USB: Better in Linux Than in Windows, Suggests Experience
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 02:03:50 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sigh! A simple USB stick causes so many problems.

,----[ Quote ]
| This is going to be a rant against windows.
| If you don't like hearing negative things
| about windows then don't read this.
| Seriously, don't read this. On the other
| hand, if you like hearing about windows
| problems then please continue :)
|
| So many times there are people who waffle on
| about how windows just works. How everything
| is all plug and play and automatic. Us Linux
| people like to call it plug and pray :) In
| this particular case it was trying to get
| windows to recognize a simple little
| Kingston USB memory stick.
|
| [...]
|
| Compared to windows, maintaining Linux is an
| absolute breeze. Want to delete a lot of
| drivers? Just select them all and delete
| them, simple. Want to reinstall drivers?
| Just reinstall the package, simple.
|
| People wonder why I don't like windows. This
| is a prime example right there. A simple
| little memory stick problem caused hours of
| wasted time and effort. The necessary
| drivers were already installed. The
| configuration file was in the rightful
| place. It was just that the operating system
| itself couldn't see what was right under
| it's nose. Ok, lets be fair and say that the
| drivers were not on the system. An example
| of that happened that evening with a laptop
| and a web camera. A simple little web camera
| with no driver disk. Not a real problem I
| thought. Just go to the manufacturers web
| site and download the drivers. No drivers on
| the chipset (pixart) manufacturers site.
| Googling came up with the drivers, oops you
| have to either register or pay for the
| drivers. WTD!! (short for "What The Duck!!"
| :) Just another way of scamming people out
| of their money. Suffice it to say that this
| particular web camera didn't work on that
| laptop. Under Linux it worked just fine,
| with no black magic needed to be performed.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/sigh-a-simple-usb-stick-causes-so-many-problems-36752

Recent:

Linux and USB 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever get tired of Windows people
| proclaiming how their operating system has
| device support for this, that, and the
| other thing and Linux doesn't? Well, now
| you have a perfect come-back. The newest,
| fast interface, USB 3.0 is out and only
| Linux has native support for it.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6956/1/

Running Nine USB-Based Displays On Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzkyOQ