[News] Free Software and Collaboration in Government and IETF

  • Subject: [News] Free Software and Collaboration in Government and IETF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 08:18:51 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Policies in San Francisco and California Take Different Paths

,----[ Quote ]
| Like the mayor, California's IT leadership
| recognizes that open source could be a
| money-saver. But it's apparent that the
| state isn't touting open source with quite
| as much gusto as Newsom. "It's not like
| we're giving agencies carte blanche to
| throw up any kind of OSS (open source
| software) that they want," Farley told
| Government Technology last month.
| California's policy "normalizes" the
| state's use of open source software, giving
| "a framework for departments to use OSS out
| of the shadows, more or less," he
| explained.
|
| The state's more cautious approach likely
| stems in part from wariness about security.
| Mark Weatherford, the state's chief
| information security officer, recently
| wrote in a blog post on Govtech.com that he
| has been on both sides of the argument
| about open source.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/articles/744185

IETF turns introspective with new wiki

,----[ Quote ]
| Assessing how successful an IETF standard has
| become should help the Internet standards
| body, and its working groups, better
| understand the impact of the work it is doing,
| said Dave Crocker, an IETF member and a
| principal at the Internet consulting firm
| Brandenburg InternetWorking. Crocker led the
| creation of the wiki.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/020410-ietf-turns-introspective-with-new.html

Recent:

IETF Involved In Row Over Patent Potentially Covering New TLS Standard

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ipjur.com/blog2/index.php?/archives/39-IETF-Involved-In-Row-Over-Patent-Potentially-Covering-New-TLS-Standard.html