[News] Victory Against Censorship in Australia, US Leadership Takes Away Liberties

  • Subject: [News] Victory Against Censorship in Australia, US Leadership Takes Away Liberties
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 08:32:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Australian censorship law collapses under public disapprobation

,----[ Quote ]
| South Australia's thin-skinned candy-ass
| politicians passed a law prohibiting any
| anonymous political commentary on blogs
| (but not "real" news-sources) prior to
| elections on penalty of a fine of AU$1250.
| Defending the measure, South Australia's
| Attorney General, Michael Atkinson claimed
| that a poster on AdelaideNow, Aaron
| Fornarino, was a fictional construct
| created by his political opponents to smear
| him. Turns out that Mr Fornarino lives just
| down the street from Atkinson's office.
| Humiliated, Atkinson rescinded the
| censorship law: "From the feedback we've
| received through AdelaideNow, the blogging
| generation believes that the law supported
| by all MPs and all political parties is
| unduly restrictive. I have listened. I will
| immediately after the election move to
| repeal the law retrospectively... It may be
| humiliating for me, but that's politics in
| a democracy and I'll take my lumps."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/02/australian-censorshi.html

Liberties oversight panel gets short shrift

,----[ Quote ]
| President Obama is coming under pressure
| from Democrats and civil liberties groups
| for failing to fill positions on an
| oversight panel formed in 2004 to make sure
| the government does not spy improperly on
| U.S. citizens.
`----

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/02/liberties-oversight-panel-gets-short-shr-15642008/

FBI wants records kept of Web sites visited

,----[ Quote ]
| The FBI is pressing Internet service
| providers to record which Web sites
| customers visit and retain those logs for
| two years, a requirement that law
| enforcement believes could help it in
| investigations of child pornography and
| other serious crimes.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10448060-38.html

Recent:

Why You Should Be Afraid Of Internet Censorship in Australia, Even If You Donât Live There

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://thenextweb.com/au/2010/02/05/afraid-internet-censorship-australia-live/