[News] DMCA Laws Abused for Censorship

Awkward Stock Photo Blog Hit With DMCA Claim

,----[ Quote ]
| The blog, if you didn't know, basically
| found awkward stock photo images, but did
| so in a very promotional way, linking back
| to the original, and always including the
| original watermark. In other words, it was
| helping to advertise some rather unique
| iStockPhoto images -- and as the site
| notes, lots of other sites have done the
| same -- and even received book deals for
| it. It seems like iStock's parent company,
| Getty Images, totally overreacted to a site
| that was only helping them, and not harming
| the company at all.

The Case(s) of the Broadway Dance Steps

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Hipple's blog and
| conversations I had with Hipple and Mackie
| yesterday, Hipple submitted the photo to a
| stock agency around 1999/2000. When Mackie
| heard about the photo being sold, he got
| his lawyer to send Hipple a letter asking
| for the photo to be removed. According to
| Hipple, that happened within two days of
| when he received the letter.
`----

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2010/02/03/the-cases-of-the-broadway-dance-steps

Typepad Threatens Takedown of Herald Justice League Unlimited ExposÃ

,----[ Quote ]
| Typepad administrator Jen has given Herald
| a deadline of January 29th to gut our
| coverage of the Second Life Justice League
| Unlimited's wiki, citing a Typepad Terms of
| Service violation for "displaying
| copyrighted text and images without
| permission". The Herald has declined to
| remove the disputed materials, setting the
| stage for a new media showdown between the
| press and an embarrassed group of Second
| Life avatars brandishing copyright claims.
`----

http://foo.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2010/01/typepad-threatens-takedown-of-herald-justice-league-unlimited-expos%C3%A9.html

Law firm demands retailer destroy all copies of Olivia Munn comic, retailer refuses

,----[ Quote ]
| UPDATE: Geoff Gerber, an IP lawyer has an
| interesting blog post about this. He
| writes, "There is no absolute defense to a
| right of publicity claim based upon
| parody," and "It should also be noted that
| it is not clear that Celebrity Showdown
| would be considered a parody." This is
| getting interesting. I've reached out to
| Antarctic Comics, the artist Brian Denham,
| and Olivia Munn for comments about this
| story, but have so far not gotten a reply
| from any of them.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/04/law-firm-demands-pub.html

Recent:

Tough To Punish Those Who File Bogus DMCA Takedowns

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091231/1224117567.shtml