[News] Patents Good for Trolls & Monopolists, Bad for Medicine

  • Subject: [News] Patents Good for Trolls & Monopolists, Bad for Medicine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 08:43:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Non-Practicing Patent Holders Winning Bigger And Bigger Awards -- And Why They Like East Texas

,----[ Quote ]
| It's no secret that many non-practicing
| entities (i.e., patent holders who do not
| actually build anything, but just try to
| license their patent or sue others for
| infringement) tend to prefer jury trials.
| It's well-known that juries, who have been
| fed years of misleading (and sometimes
| blatantly false) stories of the mythic
| "sole inventor," are extremely sympathetic
| to stories of big bad companies "stealing"
| ideas from lone inventors.

Boston Scientific to Pay J&J $1.73B to Settle Stent Patent Disputes

,----[ Quote ]
| Boston Scientific Corp. said Monday it
| would pay Johnson & Johnson a hefty $1.73
| billion to end more disputes in long-
| running legal battles over patents for
| heart stents.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704107204575039430685168478.html?mod=WSJ_Small%20Business_IndustryNews

How Patents Harm Biotech Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent defenders often claim that patents
| are necessary because top venture
| capitalists would never invest without
| patents. And yet, we keep pointing to
| examples of some of the best venture
| capitalists in the business who are quite
| skeptical of patents.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100203/0303448024.shtml

Do Patents Slow Down Innovation?

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm still obsessed with my mission to
| âabolish software patentsâ especially after
| receiving yet another email from a new
| startup that claims to be a âPatent
| Insurance Company.â  A number of these have
| popped up recently in the past few years,
| including several that are funded by VCs.

| Their pitch is that you pay them an annual
| fee, license any patents you have to them,
| and they will âprotect youâ against any
| patent litigation.  Whenever I hear this
| pitch, all I can think about is Al Capone
| walking the streets of Chicago going door
| to door offering âprotectionâ to all of the
| local businessmen if they will pay his vig
| every week.
`----

http://www.feld.com/wp/archives/2010/01/do-
patents-slow-down-innovation.html