[News] Oracle Takes Sun/OpenOffice.org, Java, Other Projects Further

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Takes Sun/OpenOffice.org, Java, Other Projects Further
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:09:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

IBM releases updated Symphony 3 office suite

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has released Lotus Symphony 3, the
| latest version of its office productivity
| suite which is based on new code that
| supports Microsoft Office applications.
`----

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2257302/ibm-releases-updated-office

IBM Launches Lotus Symphony 3 with More Microsoft Support

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has upgraded its free Lotus Symphony
| productivity suite, adding several features
| that make its word processing, spreadsheet
| and presentation applications work with
| Microsoft documents. Launched in 2007 to
| chip away at Microsoft Office, Symphony
| failed to budge Office's share of 500
| million seats. Instead, Symphony has
| acquired a more potent rival in free, Web-
| based platforms such as Google Docs. IBM is
| working to build the Web-based version of
| Symphony under the Project Concord banner.
| Concord will initially allow Web-based
| editing for documents and proceed to Web-
| based spreadsheets and presentations.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Messaging-and-Collaboration/IBM-Launches-Lotus-Symphony-3-With-More-Microsoft-Support-758886/

Sun-Oracle Merger Looks Bright for OpenOffice, MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| The announcement, which was actually a
| planned webcast, reassured those worried
| over the fate of two open-source Sun
| products for small business: the database
| software, MySQL and the productivity suite,
| OpenOffice.org. The acquisition might make
| MySQL and OpenOffice.org even more
| competitive against costly Microsoft
| counterparts (SQL Server and Microsoft
| Office).

Database Thought Leaders Divided on Oracle MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| With all of its newly acquired Sun
| intellectual property and R&D in hand,
| Oracle is now moving headlong into the
| server, storage, processor, networking and,
| yes, even the switch business. But the most
| hotly debated factor in the acquisition has
| been the MySQL database.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Database/Database-Thought-Leaders-Divided-on-Oracle-MySQL-793627/

Continuent Finds Success Within SaaS Data Management And MySQL Market

[MySQL slide]

http://twitpic.com/101h5g

[Maria-developers] Ideas for improving MariaDB/MySQL replication

https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg01998.html

McNealy's bittersweet memo bids good-bye to Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| The memo, sent Tuesday under the subject
| line "Thanks for a great 28 years," has
| more genuine emotion than you'll see in a
| year's worth of official communications
| from most corporate leaders. And even as he
| departs the Sun stage, he couldn't resist
| sprinkling in a number of characteristic
| barbs--even taking his beloved auto
| industry to task.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20000017-264.html

New beginnings for Sun, MySQL -- and me

,----[ Quote ]
| The only bet Oracle had to make was that it
| could run the business profitably. Given
| Sun's bloated infrastructure and broad
| range of unprofitable products, I don't
| think it's that hard a task. Both Oracle
| and IBM have become adept at running legacy
| businesses for profit rather than growth.
|
| [...]
|
| Personally, I've enjoyed my time with MySQL
| and Sun. It was a heckuva ride. I've never
| had as much fun as we did growing MySQL
| from a few million in revenue to more than
| $100 million, with a community that
| measures in tens of millions of users
| around the world. The one side effect of
| working for a high-growth startup is that
| it can be quite addictive.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/new-beginnings-sun-mysql-and-me-317?page=0,1

Calpont Launches InfiniDBâ Enterprise Analytic Database: First MySQL-Based Engine to Offer Scalable MPP Capabilities for Analytics and Data Warehousing

[JBoss:] We're still the home of open source

,----[ Quote ]
| I have to admit that I was one of those
| people who sat through the entire 5 hours
| of the Oracle/Sun presentations the other
| day (it seemed longer!) In a way it's sad
| to see Sun finally set over the horizon,
| but in another way it has been inevitable
| for a while and the whole process of the
| acquisition really couldn't have been drawn
| out much longer. So there we are: gone is
| Sun and in its place is Snorcle (or is that
| Oracun?) But where does this leave the
| industry as a whole? Well Sun had quite a
| portfolio of hardware and software, so
| unlike the BEA or PeopleSoft acquisitions
| this has potential wider ramifications. But
| if you listened to the presentations then
| it's almost as if Sun hasn't really gone
| away but Oracle is just injecting a lot
| more cash (and people) into the business.
`----

http://blogs.jboss.org/blog/mlittle/?permalink=Were_still_the_home_of_open_source.txt

[Red Hat:] Oracleâs Java Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| With the EUâs approval of Oracleâs
| acquisition of Sun, Oracle is acquiring a
| major hardware and software player, and
| perhaps most significantly, they are now
| taking stewardship of the Java platform. As
| Oracle Chief Executive Larry Ellison said
| shortly after the acquisition announcement
| in April of last year, Java is âthe single
| most important software asset we have ever
| acquired.â
`----

http://press.redhat.com/2010/01/26/oracle%E2%80%99s-java-opportunity/

Oracle: Java Will Be 'Business as Usual'

,----[ Quote ]
| When Oracle lays its cards on the table to
| present its road map for the combined
| Oracle and Sun Microsystems organization,
| one thing developers can expect is
| consistency as far as Java is concerned,
| according to an Oracle executive.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Management/Oracle-Java-Will-Be-Business-As-Usual-317902/

Laid off Wonderland developers to continue project

,----[ Quote ]
| Project Wonderland developers say they will
| continue working on the virtual world
| platform, despite being laid off after
| Oracleâs takeover of Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2010/02/laid-off-wonderland-developers-to-continue-project/

Recent:

Oracle Enterprise Pack for Eclipse 11g Available

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.drdobbs.com/linux-open-source/222700128?cid=RSSfeed_DDJ_OpenSource