[News] [Rival] Microsoft "Divide and Conqueror"

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft "Divide and Conqueror"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:36:08 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

It looks like a divide and conqueror plan to me

,----[ Quote ]
| Being a large and world wide company with deep
| pockets and short arms they can afford to take
| the long term view of something. They seem to
| be relying on the fact that peoples memories
| can be short sighted. So they buy a company
| which supports operating systems other than
| windows and then over time they reduce the
| support for the other operating systems.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/it-looks-like-a-divide-and-conqueror-plan-to-me-36800

Recent:

Microsoft to Drop Linux, Unix Versions of Enterprise Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will no longer offer Linux or
| Unix versions of its enterprise search
| products after a wave of releases set to
| ship in the first half of this year, the
| company announced in an official blog post
| Thursday.
|
| After Microsoft bought Fast Search &
| Transfer in 2008, it said it would continue
| offering and updating standalone versions
| of the company's ESP platform for Linux and
| Unix, wrote Bjorn Olstad, CTO for Fast and
| a Microsoft distinguished engineer. "Over
| the last two years, we've done just that."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/188659/microsoft_to_drop_linux_unix_versions_of_enterprise_search.html

Microsoft dropping FAST search for Linux, Unix

,----[ Quote ]
| While it makes sense, from a development
| perspective, for Microsoft to drop Linux
| and Unix support for FAST, it doesn't make
| much sense from a market perspective.
| Offering FAST only on Windows means that
| businesses that want to use it will
| potentially incur costs for Windows
| licenses, system administration, and
| systems redesign.
|
| Linux servers, especially for file systems
| and non-Exchange e-mail, continue to grow.
| Throw in the notion of cloudlike systems
| that are effectively operating system-
| agnostic, and this move seems even less
| logical.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10448610-62.html

Microsoft to phase out its enterprise search offerings for Linux and Unix

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5166

FAST Search Will Be a Windows-Only Product

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2010/02/05/fast-search-will-be-a-windows-only-product.aspx