[News] [Rival] Former Vice President Argues Microsoft Destoroyed Itself, Web Responds

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Former Vice President Argues Microsoft Destoroyed Itself, Web Responds
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:37:23 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft's Failure to Innovate

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/microsofts-failure-to-innovate/corporate-culture/

Microsoft Is Getting Creatively Destroyed

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-microsoft-is-getting-creatively-destroyed-2010-2

Microsoft Suffers from Creative Difficulties, Says Former Exec

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Microsoft-Suffers-From-Creative-Difficulties-Says-Former-Exec-197270/

Sack Ballmer? Break Up the Company? How Microsoft Could Innovate

http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2010/02/05/sack-ballmer-break-up-the-company-how-microsoft-could-innovate/

The Instability of Monopolies

http://reason.com/blog/2010/02/05/the-instability-of-monopolies

Weekly high-tech hot topics in the blogs: Microsoft's creative destruction, Nexus One

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/weekly-hightech-hot-topics-in-the-blogs-microsofts-creative-destruction-nexus-one-1890764.html

Global CIO: Microsoft's Suicidal Infighting: An Insider's Story

,----[ Quote ]
| Late last year, I wrote about how Microsoft
| had lost its will to lead and had become a
| big but passive follower and imitator whose
| competitors regard it this way:
|
| "They see Microsoft as drifting toward fat
| and complacent, prone to bold talk but
| tepid action, and increasingly satisfied
| with being a not-so-fast follower instead
| of the brash and aggressive embracer of
| high-risk strategies and approaches that
| enabled Microsoft to dominate markets by
| sheer dint of its unmatched will and its
| sometimes-brutal assault on any and all
| obstacles between it and the top spot."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/interviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222601170&subSection=All+Stories

Has Microsoft become clumsy, dysfunctional and uncreative?

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates is no longer a day-to-day force
| at Microsoft Corp., but you have to wonder
| what he makes of the smackdown delivered by
| a former Microsoft vice president in the
| New York Times.
`----

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/tradingdesk/archive/2010/02/05/392178.aspx

How the mighty fall

,----[ Quote ]
| A sensational piece in todayâs New York
| Times by Dick Brass, former vice president
| at Microsoft between 1997 and 2004, on the
| continuing struggles at the software giant.
| Mr Brass worked on the companyâs
| unsuccessful attempts to develop popular
| tablet PCs and e-books. You might think he
| is writing out of bitterness and
| disappointment. But he offers a measured
| (and fascinating) commentary on the
| difficulty big, successful companies have
| in changing to adapt to new times.
`----

http://blogs.ft.com/management/2010/02/04/how-the-mighty-fall/

Microsoft Urged to Look Past the PC

http://www.pcworld.com/article/109437/microsoft_urged_to_look_past_the_pc.html

Oracle's Ellison becomes the Mighty Muscle

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's some quotes from him about
| Microsoft: "If an innovative piece of
| software comes along, Microsoft copies it
| and makes it part of Windows. This is not
| innovation. This is the end of innovation".
| And "Microsoft is already the most powerful
| company on earth, but you ain't seen
| nothing yet."
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/business-and-law-brief/48214-oracles-ellison-becomes-the-mighty-muscle

Former VP Says Microsoft is "Failing" Despite Windows 7 Profits

,----[ Quote ]
| Executive blames lack of creativity for the
| supposed problems at Microsoft, points to
| RIM, Apple, and Amazon as innovators
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Former+VP+Says+Microsoft+is+Failing+Despite+Windows+7+Profits/article17613.htm

Admit It, Microsoft: You Suck at the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| And what does it have to show for all its
| effort? Years of losses. Since 2002, when
| Microsoft began breaking out MSN and online
| services as a separate category, the
| division has seen aggregate revenue of $20
| billion but a total operating loss of
| nearly $7 billion. In the past 18 months,
| the losses in proportion to revenue have
| only grown larger. Microsoft now spends
| nearly two dollars on its online businesses
| for every dollar it makes in revenue. Major
| points for trying, but itâs time to call a
| failure a failure.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/01/30/admit-it-microsoft-you-suck-at-the-web/

Why Microsoft Canât Growâ And Why Its Shareholders Deserve More Cash

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no shame in Microsoft coming to
| the realization that they have one and a
| half valuable properties and that they are
| wasting time and money on everything else
| (see chart below).
`----

http://thefastertimes.com/wallstreet/2010/01/30/why-microsoft-cant-grow-and-why-its-shareholders-deserve-more-cash/

Microsoft Online Division Revenues Improve, But Remain at a Loss

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/100129-034521

Measuring Our Work by Its Broad Impact

http://blogs.technet.com/microsoft_blog/archive/2010/02/04/measuring-our-work-by-its-broad-impact.aspx

Microsoft Defends Itself Against Op-ed by Former VP

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/188592/microsoft_defends_itself_against_oped_by_former_vp.html

Microsoft flings chairs at former VP

,----[ Quote ]
| SOFTWARE MONOLITH Microsoft is fuming after
| a blog post penned by a former vice
| president claimed the outfit had lost its
| edge and is "failing" as a result.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1590593/microsoft-flings-chairs-vp

Microsoft and Innovation -- On iTunes, 2003: "We were smoked"

,----[ Quote ]
| I had no idea when we began working on this
| project that the Comes exhibits covered
| such a broad time period, so far from 1988
| to 2003. I woke up this morning thinking
| about the BBC's truly offensive series on
| innovation and the internet, which you can
| only view in the UK, in which Bill Gates of
| all people is one of those highlighted as
| an internet innovator, if you can believe
| it. Maybe because ex-Microsoft employees
| seem to be running things there? Having
| just transcribed several emails that prove
| that Microsoft was perhaps the very last to
| hop on board, I realized that with this
| collection of exhibits, we are indeed
| publishing The True History of Microsoft.
| Please feel free to help out. You can
| either transcribe any exhibit in full, in
| part or just describe it enough so it's
| keyword searchable. Come on and join us if
| you'd like to help historians in the future
| know how it really was and what really
| happened, keeping always in mind that this
| is still only part of a complex picture,
| despite their great historical value.
|
| Here's Microsoft Corporate's response to
| the NY Times Op Ed piece, to be complete in
| our coverage, and fair, but also so you can
| compare it and Brass's words with what you
| find in the exhibits. I think you will
| agree with my opinion, that Brass's
| characterization of Microsoft as "a largely
| accidental monopolist" is hardly accurate.

Microsoft Cuts Off its Nose... (updated)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=2307