Re: Microsoft to drop Linux, Unix versions of enterprise search

____/ Sinister Midget III on Monday 08 Feb 2010 12:51 : \____

> On 2010-02-08, Richard Rasker <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>
>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/technology/microsoft-to-drop-linux-unix-versions-of-enterprise-search
>>
>>  "Microsoft will no longer offer Linux or Unix versions of its enterprise
>>   search products after a wave of releases set to ship in the first half of
>>   this year, the company announced in an official blog post on Thursday.
>>
>>   After Microsoft bought Fast Search & Transfer in 2008, it said it would
>>   continue offering and updating standalone versions of the company's ESP
>>   platform for Linux and Unix, wrote Bjorn Olstad, CTO for Fast and a
>>   Microsoft distinguished engineer.
>>
>>   "Over the last two years, weâve done just that."
>>
>>   But the products being released this year will be the last containing a
>>   search core compatible with Linux and Unix, he said."
>>
>> Hm, haven't we seen this before -- Microsoft buying a mixed OS outfit, then
>> dropping the non-Windows part, even if it doesn't make sense? The names
>> Hotmail and GeCAD come to mind ...
>
> So they lied again. Does anybody ever expect them to grow up? I know I
> don't. It's too late for that now anyway.
>
> If they kicked Blammer to the curb (it's already too late for that,
> too) and got a guy to run the place with ethics, and said guy decided
> the first thing needed was to turn the company into an honest one, 200
> years wouldn't be enough to persuade people they really turned over a
> new leaf. And they don't /have/ 200 years left. They don't even have 20
> years left.

The notion of "interop" (at least at Microsoft) is one of migration TO Windows. Think about
Mono for example, They want GNU/Linux and UNIX to 'evolve' TO Microsoft so that
it is made easier for Microsoft to earn new clients on platforms and terms it
controls with software patents and maturity (it's their own game after all).

"Interop" is antithetical wrt open standards.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"We all live in a yellow subroutine,
a yellow subroutine,
a yellow subroutine" -- Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
 00:20:01 up 83 days, 21:51,  2 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.14, 0.38