[News] Linux 2.6.33 Just a Couple of Steps from Final Release

  • Subject: [News] Linux 2.6.33 Just a Couple of Steps from Final Release
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:58:25 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux 2.6.33-rc7

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/6/106

The kernel column by Jon Masters #83

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally though, spare a thought for a kernel
| developer named Dan Carpenter who is currently
| travelling across Africa and struggling to keep
| up with kernel development on expensive and
| infrequent bandwidth. Dan asked for help in
| cloning a fresh git tree using a protocol such
| as rsync that supports partial transfers, since
| he can only purchase 200MB of bandwidth at a
| time and this is not enough to fetch a complete
| git development tree. Thatâs all folks. Donât
| forget to visit www.kernelpodcast.org (which
| had its 100,000th download this month) for
| daily updates on kernel development.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/the-kernel-column-by-jon-masters-83/

Recent:

Linux 2.6.33-rc6

,----[ Quote ]
| Hmm. About 50% arch updates, and 40% drivers,
| with the rest being a smattering of mainly fs
| and networking updates.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/1/29/368

Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.33 (Part 2) - Storage

,----[ Quote ]
| Extended discard support means that Linux
| now supports ATA TRIM, which can increase
| SSD lifespan and throughput. New additions
| to the Linux kernel include HA solution
| DRBD and drivers for HP, LSI and VMware
| storage hardware. The new kernel version,
| expected in early March, also includes
| many minor improvements to the code for
| the Btrfs, Ext4 and ReiserFS file systems.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Kernel-Log-Coming-in-2-6-33-Part-2-Storage-914669.html

Linux 2.6.33-rc5

,----[ Quote ]
| Hmm. I don't think there is anything earth-
| shaking here, although the i915 KMS changes
| might be noticeable. Notably if you have eDP
| ("embedded DisplayPort" - I think mainly a
| feature you'd find on a new imac), in which
| case it now hopefully works, but more
| commonly if you saw the flickering on your
| laptop panel due to LVDS downclocking (which
| saves power, but is now disabled by default
| until that thing is resolved).
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/370711/

Subject Linux 2.6.33-rc4

,----[ Quote ]
| Hmm. Odd release. Something like 40% of the
| patches are in DRM (mostly  nouveau and radeon,
| both staging, so it's a bit less scary than it
| sounds.  But there's a noticeable i915
| component too). That's all pretty unusual,
| afaik.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/1/13/19

Kernel Log: Coming in 2.6.33 (Part 1) - Networking

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux 2.6.33 will have new and improved
| drivers for Wi-Fi chips by Intel, Ralink and
| Realtek. Several drivers for old Wi-Fi
| hardware have been moved to the staging area
| and will probably soon be discarded. New
| additions include various LAN chip drivers
| and several improvements to the network
| stack.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Kernel-Log-Coming-in-2-6-33-Part-1-Networking-898841.html

Linux 2.6.33-rc3

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been quiet due to the holidays, so -rc3
| is reasonably small despite  being a few days
| over the normal one-week mark. And most of the
| changes  are pretty trivial, although both
| ext4 and reiserfs had some trouble in  -rc2,
| hopefully all fixed now.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/368827/

Linux 2.6.33-rc2 - Merry Christmas ...

,----[ Quote ]
| .. or wahetever it is you'll be celebrating
| today/tomorrow.
|
| And if you aren't celebrating anything at
| all, but instead sitting in your dark
| basement feeling lonely and bored, you can at
| least try out the latest -rc kernel. Because
| it's better than moping around doing nothing.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/12/24/130

Nouveau: A 2.6.33 Surprise

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus has released the 2.6.33-rc1 prepatch,
| closing the merge window for this development
| cycle. This kernel has a few features which
| will shake things up, with dynamic tracing
| being near the top as far as I am concerned.
| But, perhaps, the most interesting addition is
| one that almost nobody expected: a reverse-
| engineered driver for NVIDIA graphics chipsets
| called âNouveau.â
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/171-jonathan-corbet/268052-nouveau-a-2633-surprise

Nouveau To Go Into Linux 2.6.33 Kernel!

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, the day has come, open-source fans with
| NVIDIA hardware that run Linux have quite the
| present this holiday season. Yesterday there
| was the first DRM pull request for the Linux
| 2.6.33 kernel that brought many changes to the
| ATI/AMD and Intel DRM along with other core DRM
| improvements (such as to the TTM memory
| manager). These changes were quite significant
| and we even called it a great present in the
| Linux 2.6.33 kernel.
|
| These DRM changes were accepted, but Linus
| Torvalds went off on a bit of rant wanting
| Nouveau merged into the kernel. A discussion
| ensued and after blaming Nouveau's lack of
| upstreaming on wanting the kernel/user-space
| API to potentially change in the future and
| then with Red Hat disclosing the Nouveau
| microcode problem that seemed to be pretty
| much that and we had not expected any
| immediate activity on the matter.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc5NQ

Linus Torvalds Accepts DRBD into Linux Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://newsblaze.com/story/2009121012340800002.bw/topstory.html